Monetization: To LootBox OR No LootBox, that is the question?

Revisiting the monetization again. We initially wanted to monetize our Alien Invasion | Kaiju Survival Terror with Lootboxes. We acknowledge that Lootboxes in the popular format would be met with great hostility. Players dont like them, Politicians dont like them, even some Game Developers dont like them.

So, after reviewing many different ways to monetize our game we elected to use more than one monetization strategy. Its my belief that multiple strategies are needed to generate any sort of decent revenue with all the competition.

We’re firstly going with the traditional per unit Sales model with Initial price point =< $20 incorporating an Affiliate Program to boost marketing and sales simultaneously. This is our primary monetization model with all others being 100% optional with 0 impact on game play ( No Pay 2 Win )…

To support In App Purchases for upgrades to customize cosmetic aspects of modular Characters, Creatures, Armor, Weapons, Vehicles, Structures and Props were developing the HyperBasher Construction System. The HyperBasher is the core of our game. In fact, we’re developing it firstly, building game mechanics around it. Think of it as an Advanced Spore Creature Creator used for in-game assembly and customization.

For Customized Entities, we’re also offering 3D Digital Download & 3D Prints.The goal is to extend the game beyond itself and boost marketing. Digital Downloads can be used in other game dev, media, etc. 3D Prints can be collected and used in table top gaming.

We had planned to use a Dynamic Billboards, Posters, Decals, Book/Magazine Covers to manage graphic arts content in the game in the beginning. We’re now planning to expand on the system to generate Advertisement revenue or participate in an advertising coop.

Lastly we’re offering Cash-driven Scavenger / Treasure Hunt (Loot Box Hunt) & Skilled-based PvE / PvP Tournaments Game Modes. These are legacy monetization models I had planned for my first UE4 Game Dragons Gold (cancelled). All Monetization will be supported via custom Online Subsystem WoOSAH WordPress Online Services API via HTTP (WoOSAH).

To LootBox OR No LootBox, that is the question?

I believe Big Game Publishers will Lobby to keep in LootBoxes and other similar monetization methods, Some legislation has been mandated in which Game Companies must disclose the odds. I consider Kickstarter to be funding generation, not for profit generation. I personally feel any dev that takes and uses donations for any purpose other than the project is committing an act of fraud.

Traditional per-unit sales are typically one-time transactions and can be tough to generate without proper marketing. We’re firstly going with the traditional per unit Sales model with Initial price point =< $20 incorporating an Affiliate Program to boost marketing and sales simultaneously. We’ll gradually decrement the price to 0 overtime to transition into a Free2Play, dependent on customer response.

We’re seeking multiple monetization strategies that regenerate revenue long term after our game is published. LootBoxes can regenerate revenue. I personally favor Monetization Strategies that can boost Marketing, support a bi-directional monetary exchange, Add Value to customers beyond the game, and are Ethical. Doing LootBoxes ethically is our goal.

I’m pondering over new and innovative monetization strategies. One idea is a bi-directional monetary transaction system I dubbed ‘Paid-to-Play’, in which Players earn money to Play. This could operate similar to Google AdSense in which advertisements rendered/produced in the Game World’s environment as 3D Meshes, 2D Decals/Materials, Audio.

I will recommend having a shop with custom esthetic assets; not loot boxes; or at least, not loot boxes bought on the game, if you earn the loot box playing is welcome.

Ads in-game must be very well done and right now there is not a real company connecting big clients with this can of solution to be integrated into a game. Hope in the future there are some good solutions for that. (I always loved “syndicates wars” they have an ad for the “Gosht in the Shell” movie)

Also, the season system is really nice, you get access to some extra live content and you pay for it. of course, people will only do that on games they love, but depending on the case seems better than DLCs.

about Kickstarter or other donations, if you are clear that the donation is to your company to support your company projects should not be a problem. It is true that from my point of view, I will be clear, with what use will have the money.

In any case, all this is just a personal opinion, take it with a grain of salt. :grinning:

1 Like

Hi @geverk I truly appreciate the response. Sorry for the late reply.

The Cosmetic Shop is a MUST ...

In my opinion and the reason I’m designing my games for everything to be customizable in-game even non-playable entities and assets. I’m gearing my shop around the idea of full access customization and Players pay a small ‘one-price’ fee ( ~ $1.99 USD ) to save/access/use the configuration for gameplay. I’d rather let the Player’s sell their own Configurations at higher price-points and we facilitate the exchange for small percentage ( ~ 5% ).

Game Aesthetic could directly effect what and how Ads are displayed ...

In the Game World. So I’m looking for means to display as many categories of Ads as possible with minimum immersion-breaking. Its all about context. Looking to Leverage Generative AI to adjust Advertisement Text and Media for context to ‘fit’ into the Game World Aesthetic.

I like the idea of Investors, Not Donors ...

I personally don’t like the idea of asking for donations for a commercial venture, asking for investment is more suitable. I’m researching a hand-full of Investment Platforms for Game Development Not Kickstarter. But I rather sell game assets to fund my game development than to give away equity.

1 Like