Modules and missing .dll

Yesterday I created a C++ component (out of curiosity, I don’t work with C++) and it failed to launch Visual Studio. I didn’t think anything of it because I wasn’t going to use that component anyway and the Engine was working/building just fine. However, I believe it’s caused a bit of a snag somewhere.

241955-missingmodule.png

I found an interesting line in the log file

LogInit: Warning: Incompatible or missing module: UE4Editor-Sandbox.dll
Running F:/UE_4.18/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe Sandbox Development Win64 -project=“E:/Epic Games/TPShooter/Sandbox/Sandbox.uproject” -editorrecompile -progress -NoHotReloadFromIDE
Creating makefile for Sandbox (no existing makefile)
Performing full C++ include scan (no include cache file)
@progress push 5%
@progress pop
ERROR: No 32-bit compiler toolchain found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin\cl.exe

The Toolchain error is odd because I am not using Visual Studio 14 and it’s not on my system. I have Visual Studio 2017, with C++ installed, but I don’t know how to get this project to use it.

I can create new projects and run other projects without an issue, it is only this project. I went into a working project and selected Visual Studio 2017 to be the source, as well.

Thoughts on how to fix this? I’ve ran through quite a few forum threads that had answers, but none seem to be matching my particular issue.

Thank you!

*14.0 is 2015. First of all don’t run project, open sln file inside project directory and try to rebuild the project over there without running editor. If you get the same thing try Generate project files with -2017 options

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Programming/UnrealBuildSystem/ProjectFileGenerator

Great reply, thank you.

Few things:

1. I don’t have a .sln file in the directory where the UE4 Project is located
  2. I have the Game Development with C++ workload installed, but I do not have the GenerateProjectFiles.bat

241994-cppcode.png

1. Would installing VS 2015 fix this entire issue?

EDIT: I found that I can right-click the uproject file and Generate Project Files, but I am getting the same Toolchain error as stated in the original post

For those who are reading this afterwards, the following post gave me the answer:

I had a RegKey still calling a file directory that no longer existed, once that was fixed everything worked.