Modular SciFi Series - Engineer Hallways Vol. 2 Released!

Hey everyone!

I made some updates to the main website. The home page has new images, I’ve added the Materials product page and current pack, and a new blog post just went up.

I will resume working on the Interiors update and documentation this week. Stay tuned! =)

Hey everyone!

Some new work to show for the Interiors update, I’m having a hard time choosing which to use this design for, floor or wall? Maybe both?

91c4671eed16ca1ebf410dd3edd4c7fc65107acd.jpeg

1453f1172222cab57c85189f7b10ac697c4e5516.jpeg

I can actually see this being used as a hatch! if the two were separated into separate meshes It would be very easy to turn into a quite fancy spaceship airlock or something?

Awesome work!

Thanks ModBodDolphin!

Interesting you should say that, I was thinking the same thing when I was making it. It’s definitely something to consider. Maybe even a cylindrical hallway. =)

yes!! i’ve been waiting for cylindrical hallways!!

I immediately thought airlock when I saw this. So wall. Then again an airlock could be on the floor in zero G conditions, so maybe both. More options - always good.

Likewise! I don’t know if I’ll be able to get them into this update, but I definitely want to include them in the series. I want to add a little more curvature with the architecture, the Command Center pack will be a big part of that. =)

Yeah I’m leaning towards both at the moment, it’s too difficult to decide and as you say more options are great. =)

Hello Dave.

Guys with a little modding you can achieve these sort of effects with the decals.
Needless to say, its pretty awesome! Good stuff !

Perfect quality and interesting solutions! I like it
Keep it up!

You could make that cylinder thing modular… I mean… make multiple versions of it like one that it opens like an airlock to the outside and that’s it. Another that it is an opening to a maze of tunnels for maintenance (either design the pieces for that or leave it to be added to anyone that would want to do that). Another option could be that it is a containment unit, it opens externally when unlocked and allows to put a human body or an alien body and such inside it.

=P

Very awesome tweak Gozu! Thanks for sharing. =)

Thank you Vegaart!

Thanks for the feedback DarkS474! I don’t know if I will be doing all of that in this update, but I will definitely be incorporating airlocks/cylindrical hallways in the series. As you listed, there are many possibilities. =)

Hey everyone!

Here’s more progress on the Interiors update. This is a new floor buffer/divider I’m working on, with and without pipes. I should probably mention that all of the WIP update pieces are devoid of textures/details except for the first wall divider. This is just showing off the shapes. =)

18ccde6772ef8a32ba2c6105abf4ec3d0c209def.jpeg

Hey everyone!

Small update, but I got the new floorbuffer and pipes textured. A few more pieces to go, I’m thinking some new ceilings. =)

Began some designs for the ceiling. I wanted it to be physically simpler, and a bit flat to contrast with the existing options. I’m thinking of a small almost subtle tile design for the main plate, while keeping the cylindrical rings pure metal. Keep in mind none of these designs are necessarily final. I’m thinking a new large doorway will be the final piece, then I will polish all of these up. =)

c96e512a222062d8bd7e943992b0cf1277fc97d0.jpeg

If I may suggest something. While the geometry looks very convincing, I find the hyper reflective metal look a bit impractical. Imagine someone dropping a fork in this room. So my suggestion would be to add a more rubber + plastic type of finish to the walls and floors.
What I really like is the slight dirt on this screenshot, black areas lower right.

&d=1461732225

I’d agree with this, as well. While the hyper reflective metal material is beautiful, it needs to be used more sparingly. Rubber and plastics with some more high quality scratch and grunge maps would really compliment these scenes well.

Thank you both for the feedback! The reflective metal is a look I’ve employed for my demonstration levels, but is easily changeable through the extensive material settings. That being said, I am always looking for ways to incorporate more diverse material properties in the showcase scenes through practical means. The Props pack was the first time I was able to explore more distinct looks, and I look forward to doing that in future packs. I’ve actually toned down on the over reflective look quite a bit from when I started, and you can see some of the effects of that in the Collection environment. I’m revamping some of the values of the material properties for the Interiors pack as I update it, more on that as I get closer to releasing though.

Same goes with dirt/scratches. The Materials pack demonstrates the new “blueprint” I will be using in upcoming packs when it comes to adjusting the dirt/scratch levels of props and architecture.

Thank you again for your feedback, it is much appreciated! Please don’t hesitate to speak up again if you feel obligated to. =)

Hey everyone!

Here are some prototype shots of the new doorways, in both large and small variants. I’m thinking of putting wires in those holes similar to the large Doorway B variant. Now the fun part, UV mapping. Then texturing. =P

https://cdn2.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/002/189/022/large/jonathon-frederick-f10.jpg?1458442530

If I may I would suggest something again. Saw this on your art station page. This boxy, end to end plated look is a huge jump in quality and functionality. I think this is the way to go. It looks more interesting than the previous more ornamented pieces that formed too many patterns. Which pack is the above screenshot a part of?