A years worth of tinkering, combined with the July 2020 permanently free Modular Character by ROCKETARTS has produced this 3.5hrs worth of tutorial - Creating a Modular Character Component in UE4.
The Modular Mesh Component:
- is 100% BP, so can be migrated to another project.
- Stores the current mesh data for each modular part of the character.
- Provides Helper functions for randomization.
- Uses weighting to reduce/remove unwanted variations
-Stores all the variations (meshes, materials) in an ordered fashion
- Can be added to other actors, such as item pickups.
- Compartmentalized design means it should be easier to integrate into projects
As seems to be a common sentiment, I’ve felt I owed this community something for the free education, so this is my first step towards balancing that scale. Enjoy and stay safe:)