Hey hey !
I really hope I`ll get some help, because this have been over a year now that I`ve been experimenting with different building and texturing methods.
So long story short , I am building different, rather large districts and sectors of a post - apocalyptic , sci-fi city and I am using a mixture of modular ( walls, doorframes, windowframes etc, unique walls ) and instanced full-building - building method for my buildings.
First i was using multiple 2-3 material slots on each modular wall pieces, than after an extensive research , most of the answers ive got was to minimise the material slots on every wall to 1. So then i shifted my approach to trimsheets and atlasing, but then i realised I will need a lot of unique meshes as their UV layouts will be different everytime.
Now after a year what im getting from a lot of places is that I can and should be using 2 material slots for instanced wall meshes to differentiate exterior texturing from the interior.
So im a little bit confused due to conflicting answers . Id appriciate some help on this if thats okay, and i really hope im writing this question to the right forum lol
My other problem is texturing control. While i appriciate PBR materials, they dont give you that much control than a trimsheet, but obviously they look much better and dramatically reduce the number of unique meshes .