Modeling tools selection modifiers inconsistency

Hi,

modeling tools have multiple selection tools, such as PolyEd, TriSel and TriEd.

PolyEd and TriEd seem to have unified selection modifier keys, such that LMB overrides previous selection, Shift+LMB adds to the previous selection, and Ctrl+LMB subtracts from previous selection.

TriSel however ends up a bit jarring, because it’s part of the same module yet it uses LMB for additive selection, Shift+LMB for subtractive selection, and there doesn’t appear to be override selection mode, which LMB does by default for PolyEd and TriEd.

Is there any reason for that? For example someone thought that it’s uncomfortable to have to hold shift key all the time when painting a complex tri selection from multiple angles? If so, I am not sure the inconsistency tradeoff is worth it.

If the concern was that users could lose time spent by painting complex selection by forgetting to hold down shift key to add it, I don’t think that’s so critical either, since the TriSel seems to support undo, so unwanted selection could be easily reverted.

I would just like to see unified modeling toolset, where I can always rely on a rule that for selections, Shift always means add, Ctrl always means subtract and no modifier key always means override.

If the comfort of not having to hold modifier key for selection painting is deemed important enough to break the input key unification, then at the very least selection subtraction should be remapped from Shift key to Ctrl key.