Modeling Decisions

Hello, I’m not sure if this is the right thread but i’m creating content so it might be?. But what i need is i’m going to make my first level which is the inside of a spaceship. What i need to know is what’s the best way to do this. Should i make each part and assemble them in unreal or make the whole thing and bring it in as one mesh. Do any of these ways have different results or hurt performance. Whats the best way to do this.?

You definetely don’t want to do that. In order for the LOD system to work efficiently, you need to have your assets separated. I would think of your level as of a constructor, a modular structure of some sort.

go all modular, will be easy to make collisions meshes, easy to texture, easy to lightmap, and maybe better for culling:)

Ok, thanks ill do everything seperate then :D.

Well the general approach is to build based on function over form so since it’s a space ship then the technical fiction of how the USS Enterprise (Star Trek) was built of manufacturing in components and then transport the finished component into the shell would work. Would also be efficient as you can copy instanced most of the parts as well as a separate component the engine would cull what what camera does not see.

Another good reference source is to watch some of the YouTube documentaries of how submarines are built these days and copy the techniques inside a box.

To reiterate some of what FrankieV and others have said, the modular approach is widely used in game development.

If you take a look at the Content Examples project available via the Learn Tab you’ll find a map titled Level Design Workflow that shows the beginning to the final results. This map is showing the process used to create the Mobile Sun Temple example that is available in the Marketplace.

You can take a look at the documentation page about this content example as well: Content Examples Sample Project for Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

Senior Designer Jim Brown walks through this level and explains some things regarding level design process here: Intro to Level Design | Live Training | Unreal Engine - YouTube

Since you’re just starting out my best advice is just to get assets in and working with the engine as soon as possible. You can always improve or redo work (which is common when trying to get everything working!). The important part is to get it in and see that everything is starting to block out and play the way you would want. Even if it’s just moving around the level and getting the scale just right. Sometimes you can build exactly to real world specs and then find that everything feels too confined or small, so the earlier you start playing around and seeing what works and what doesn’t will help you get a good workflow that works best for you. :slight_smile:

I hope this helps.

Ok so i should make a shell of the whole ship. Just with doorways and rooms. And then start adding individual meshes like stairs ect.?