Model import from 3DS Max to UE4

Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong area, but I have been searching these forums and on the web and I can’t seem to find a concrete enough answer.

I am looking at importing a model from 3DS Max from Dawn of War that has multiple ‘options’ for the unit. These options, when in Dawn of War, will be depending independently of each other whether the unit will be required to do a specific task (example: it has a bolt pistol when in ranged combat or a knife and a chainsword when in melee).

I am trying to import this model into UE4 and play around with how these options would work.

I have tried:

• Importing the unit as one whole model - this does not allow me to turn features on or off as UE4 thinks it is all one mesh.
  • I have tried separating out the options using ‘Export Selection’ without the bones so that the base skeletal mesh of the unit and the options can be joined together, however I am unable to attach the weapons using the socket method.
  • I have tried exporting the options with the bones in that area (or connected bones) so that the base skeletal mesh of the unit and the options can be joined together, but still unable to attach the weapons using the socket method.
  • I have tried exporting the options with the whole bone structure but am still unable to attach the weapons using the socket method.

Something worth noting is that there are meshes within the bone structure as well.

The unit can be seen below:

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Stevan23

Bumping for anyone’s help?

Why you would this do with importing from 3dsmax all combined in one export? I dont think this way it will work(anybody correct me iv im wrong). My approach, do the meshes chainsword, banner and bolter a separate mesh exported and attach it in UE4 as actors to the char as needen controlled via BP.

How you import models and animations ??? Pls help me, i got problems when importing…