Mobile tilt input values not true iOS?

could someone please confirm that Tilt input values from an iOS device are correct as I’m finding difficult to minimise drift without having to recalibrate constantly.
Example: X axis effects the wraparound values for the Y and z axis.
so after moving in a circular motion then returning to calibrated position the axis do not return 0’s and have drifted
is this a bug or is there a way in blueprint to fix or compensate for this ?
i am trying to achieve independent of pitch, yaw and roll to control the turn rates of a space craft.
I’ve found attitude sensor data maybe what i need but can’t find anything about attitude in the forums or answer hub.
i have tried all my brain can handle with this and would really appreciate some help please.

thanks

Can anyone please help?

anyone help?

HI ,

I have asked the platforms team to look into this. One of the mobile devs mentioned you might consider mapping the gravity of the game to the tilt of the device. Unfortunately there is nothing to report past that at this time.

Good luck!

Hi ,

I have a response from the Platforms folks about your issue. They’re not seeing any problems with mobile tilt input, but advised that your issue appears to be more related to drift, which could be affected by the device on which you’re testing, although any recent iOS device should have all the hardware for good Motion.

They advised that basically UE4 gets the values out of CoreMotion and returns them (after applying a change for landscape/portrait), but that this shouldn’t affect drift.

I hope this helps!

Thank you Wittlief for looking in to this issue for me.
i currently have available to test iPad2, iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s all with the same results I’ve had reports from a game i released that iPhone 6 and iPad air also need regular calibration during gameplay i will try to get access to an iPhone 6 see for myself if there is any difference.
i understand there will always be some drift / inaccuracy but after one circular movement the pitch and yaw can be out by as much as 10-15 degrees (using the blueprint nodes get motion input).
After much testing my findings are that following these steps:
tilt down, rotate left, rotate right (back to centre), tilt up (back to centre) = extreme drift
tilt down, rotate left, tilt up (back to centre) ,rotate right (back to centre) = No drift

I’ve found a file in my projects ‘IOSInputInterface.cpp’ which from what i can tell gets pitch roll and yaw from CMAttitude and after much google reading up I’m led to believe that more accurate results can be obtained using a quaternion from Attitude with a bit of math to calculate pitch yaw and roll from axis x,y,z and w. which reduces the impact of the x axis effecting the values of the y and z axis and so on.
I’ve been trying but I’m not competent with code and don’t know how to implement this correctly to get these input values into my Blueprint projects.
again any advice is very much appreciated.

Hi ,

As we’ve determined this is not a bug and tilt is working as intended, I am going to mark this as resolved. I noticed that you posted for blueprints assistance on the iOS forums, you might also consider posting in the actual blueprints section of the forums or AnswerHub for further assistance on how to build your blueprints correctly for this project.

Hope this helps.