Mobile SSR ( Screen Space Reflections ) not working

Hi, Screen Space Reflections do not work on mobile ( iOS ) . The post process effects guide for mobile ( 4.14 ) shows Screen Space Reflections are supported but for the life of me I can’t get it to work on my iphone or using the mobile previews in the editor. I’ve set r.ssr.quality 4 from the console and in the ini files , and my opaque material SSR setup works fine when not on mobile. My post process volume is unbound and the SSR settings are all at defaults.

I’d be grateful if someone could look into this.

Rob

Hey insanerob,

It was my understanding that most mobile devices didn’t support SSR, but the documentation does indeed say that it is supported without any claification if that is only for the Metal API, or Vulkan API, or what so I put in a bug here: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-42612)

You can track the issue as it is reviewed by our development staff. Keep in mind the issue may not be prioritized or fixed quickly.

Cheers,

Ed

Documentation had an error and it should be updated soon. As you can see in the public notes we recommend using planar reflections and sphere reflection captures instead.

This turned out to be a non bug.

Hi Ed, That’s a massive shame as I really needed it for a mobile game I’m working on. It’s low poly so good reflections make all the difference. Is SSR in the pipeline to come to mobile ?
I need the reflections for a river
Unfortunately neither planar nor reflection captures will work for me.
Planar doesn’t work well when sections of the river are not in the same plane, and using more than 1 planar at a time to cope with this is too much of an overhead.
I tried attaching the planar to the pawn blueprint so it is always at the level of the players feet but that doesn’t seem to work for me, even though this works great for exp-height fog.
Captures won’t work as there are objects in the river that won’t be captured unless I use thousands of them.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and a big for responding and looking into this for me.
Kind regards, rOb

I don’t think SSR is on the current roadmap for Epic since there are hardware limitations that make the implementation of this feature unfeasible at this time.

The only advice I can give is to continue trying to work with other reflection capture actors or fake it by projecting a cubemap onto the surface of your meshes via a material (reflection map). This is pretty old school but is better than nothing. The trade off is the “reflection” isn’t captured at runtime and is therefore static (not sure if this is an acceptable trade off).

If you need real time captures keep trying to work with planar reflections as that may be your best choice for something like a river.