MMO Hide Players Not Seen!

Hey everyone! I’m currently creating a mmo creature capture game. I want to have as many players in one server as possible however i know if you join and a lot of player characters are running around its going to be very expensive.

I want to find a way to hide the players that can’t be seen by a player and i’m wondering what the best way to do this would be on a server?

Hey there @InfectedBritain! MMOs are one of if not the hardest games to work on, especially when it comes to netcode. If you’re using Unreal Engine’s built in replication, you could use net relevancy and priorities to focus on what is needed at the time an what could needs to be culled for network reasons.

1 Like

Thank you i’ll look into this today! and your not wrong its definitely a challenge but a fun one for sure :slight_smile:

No problem! If you’re new to UE replication, I’ve got a resource I usually recommend as sort of a companion resource to the documentation that is amazing at helping you hit the ground running with replication. Though I do warn ahead of time, Unreal’s networking setup is geared towards smaller to mid scale networking solutions, so stress test early and often to be safe!

Cedric Neukirchen’s Network Compendium is great for getting a foothold.