ML Deformer Has Difficultly Associating Alembic Track with Skeletal Mesh, Any Tips for Debuggin?

Hello, I’m attempting to evaluate the ML Deformer in UE5.2 and compare it to similar ML techniques. I have a dataset in USD and have used houdini to convert it into FBX and Alembic, but I’m stuck on the warming in the ML Deformer “No SkelMesh meshes found for GeomCache tracks: HoodieSimMesh_sbdv_0”. I can guarantee there is a HoodieSimMesh_sbdv in the FBX I imported to make a sketal mesh, and the path in the Alembic file is also HoodieSimMesh_sbdv. It seems Unreal slaps on a _0, but I think that’s a red herring since the docs say “It is important that your Alembic Track names start with the same name as the name you see in the outliner in Maya” and the share that common prefix. I’m flying bind though since after importing the fbx into skeletal mesh, it doesn’t look like I have access to the mesh hiearchy names to double check. That brings up the point, my fbx has a deep mesh hierarchy, so HoodieSimMesh_sbdv definitely has a bunch of parents. Do all these parents need to be the alembic track name? Any tips would be welcome. Thanks!

2 Likes

Ran into the same issue! Have you found a solution for this? thanks

1 Like

godamn Epic! same! if I bake alembic from the emil example scene it works! a custom scene it doesnt! I get this error message to. so flakey and so little information