A good friend of mine Alaa Ben Fatma has made a Python Code Addon for Blender 3D, that allows you to get animations from Mixamo and easily retarget them to the Epic Mannequin Skeleton in UE4 and so associate these anims with the UE4 Mannequin for use in your game.
The workflow is this:
- 1: Make your own Custom Character 3D Static Mesh in Blender 3D.
- 2: Export the Character Static Mesh as OBJ.
- 3: Upload your Character Static Mesh to Mixamo.
- 4: Skin (Rig) your Character using the Mixamo auto Skinner / Rigger.
- 5: Assign any Mixamo Animation to your newly Skinned / Rigged Character.
- 6: Export your Character and Mixamo Animation as FBX.
- FBX Import into Blender 3D. You will have your character in Blender with a Mixamo Skeleton and Anim.
- 8: (Here’s where the magic happens) Use Alaa’s awesome Mixamo to UE Plugin to completely reconfigure the Mixamo Skeleton to the UE4 Mannequin Skeleton.
- Export the newly configured Character / Skeleton / Anim as FBX from Blenderas FBX.
- 10: Import the new Character and Anim into UE4.
- Open the new Character Skeleton - click Retarget Manager. Choose Humanoid Rig. Save and Close.
- 12: Open the UE4 Mannequin Skeleton. Click Retarget Manager. Choose Humanoid Rif. Save and Close.
- 13: Open the importeed Mixamo Anim. Right click and choose Duplicate Anim Assets and Retarget.
- 14: Voila, the imported Mixamo Anim will now work with the UE4 Mannequin Skeleton and be included in it’s anim library in the Anims Tab of Persona.
I hope this helpful for Blender user trying to get their original characters into UE4 and for people trying to find quick solutions to get their characters animated!
You can buy Alaa’s awesome Mixamo to UE4 Plugin for Blender here: https://gumroad.com/l/KRuzp/
Its normally 12$, but until the 5th of May 2017, you can get it for 5$ using the Discount Code: ue416 on the Gumroad Checkout Page.
Check out Alaa’s video tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT_R8_l3948&feature=youtu.be
Hope all you Mixamo / Blender / UE4 Character creators find this helpful. Cheers!