Mixamo Animation Retargeting

Hi!

We analyzed your report but we were not able to reproduce it. With a test using a running animation by Mixamo on the UE4 mannequin, the animation seems playing as expected:

mixamo.jpg

Looking at your GIF, it seems that your target character is using a skeleton slightly different that the standard UE4 mannequin one. It could be possible that the original skeleton is missing the bone corresponding to the one animated by Mixamo, or that the model is not skinned accordingly. Could you please double check it? If the problem persists, could you please send a ZIP of the original FBX of the target character (before any retargeting done by our plugin) at support@.com so that we can try to look at it?

Thanks.

Hi there, sorry for slow reply. I looked into it and it turns out I had my animation retargeting settings incorrect. Root & Pelvis need to be set to Animation or AnimationScaled while the rest of the skeleton needs to be set to Skeleton. For anyone else looking at this, you can find this by going to Skeleton -> Skeleton Tree tab -> Options -> Show Retargeting Options.

Hello,

Is there any way I may get some help? I am trying to use root motion to have my character roll, and I think I have everything done correctly, but when I try to roll, the character plays the animation but does not move forward. I am pretty sure I have the root bone added, but I’m not sure. Thank you very much, I hope to hear back soon. I am currently stuck where I am at.

Hi,

if you’re trying to create a Root Motion animation from Mixamo animations, then we have a video tutorial explaining how to create it from a pair of Normal and In-Place Mixamo animations (both are required):

https://.com/watch?v=IwlwjLQBqmM

You can check if the used animation is a correct “Root Motion animation” opening the animation editor and enabling in the viewport the flag Character > Animation > Process Root Motion (and following the character with the camera). When the character will move too far, the editor will reset its position. With the flag disabled, the character will play the animation without moving its position. If everything is ok, you can follow the official documentation to properly play the animation in-game.

Hi,

if you see your animation/skeletal mesh “floating” in the Persona editors, this is (usually) caused by settings in the Persona editor and not issues with the mesh or animation. When you place your mesh in-game, its position is commonly determined by the character pawn capsule or by the skeletal mesh collision shape (check the skeletal mesh’s Physics Asset). If you want to see your mesh not floating in the Persona editor, you can try unchecking the “View Options” > “Auto Align Floor to Mesh” option or playing with the “Floor Height Offset” value.

Hi. Have some troubles. When i try to use plugin to retarget Mixamo anim to unreal i have a problem with hands (they do not match at the shoulders), so to make it works properly i have to rework all as i have to do without plugin. Can you fix it?

How to enable root motion to animations without Mixamo animation “In-Place”? On Mixamo it named as Standing Melee Run Jump. I know how to make it root-motion without plugin, but how with?

Hi!

Some (relatively) “small” errors are commons and are caused by the different morphologies of the involved meshes and skeletons. You can fix this type of errors directly in the editor following this video tutorial:

https://.com/watch?v=soEEw4oS7no

As documented in the plugin description, to create UE4 root motion animations the plugin requires both the “Normal” and the “In-Place” Mixamo animations. Without both of them is not possible to compute the mathematically correct UE4 root motion animation.
The only workarounds we know to deal with this problem when you don’t have the required In-Place animation are:

Instead, if you have both the required animations, then you can use the plugin following this tutorial:

https://www.com/watch?v=IwlwjLQBqmM

Hi everyone! The update for UE4.26 has been submitted to Epic for review. We’ll update you here when the new version will be available in the Marketplace.

Hi! The update for UE4.26 is now available in the Marketplace.

Having problems with the retargeting. I’m following the instructions in the video, but my character is crumpled up. Here is a screen capture of the mesh before targeting. Are the additional connections the problem?

We don’t see anything wrong from this screenshot. Please share much more detailed information. For example: you write “my character is crumble up”, but what is the result of applying the plugin on your Mixamo character? ( we can’t guess the problem without seeing it…) The problem is with the retargeting pose or when you retarget an animation? The character in the screenshot seems the UE4 mannequin, not a Mixamo character.

If you can record a short video of your whole process, we can look at it.

I cannot get this product to work!

I have followed the instructions several times, and the end product is always the same. I have attached a screenshot.

One problem that I’ve noticed is that when I retarget at 1:20. Humanoid appears in “Select Rig” but the Rig mapping and translation retargeting (the bones, etc) do not show up in the left panel.

Not sure if that helps, but I keep getting the same character when I later duplicate the retargeted animation.

So, here’s the problem.

I don’t believe the retargeting tool will work with “migrated” assets.

I have the UE4 Animation Starter Pack. I migrated the pack to my new FPS project. Though I followed the tutorial exactly each time, the retargeted animation results in a character as illustrated in the graphic above – crumpled. However, if you create a new project, go to the UE4 Marketplace and, instead of migrating, apply the UE4 Animation Starter Pack to your project from there, everything works, as shown in the tutorial.

One thing that does not show up, however, is the rig remapping and translation retargeting. Not sure why, but this is what you get after retargeting the Mixamo rig (see below). I’m not sure if you can fix this on your end, but this caused me a great deal of head and heartache. . . Apologies for being harsh in my review, but this was supposed to be easy, according to the video.

I hope this helps you make a solid product even better.

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“data-tempid”:“temp_209576_1608051327488_823”,“title”:“Capture_alt01.PNG”}[/ATTACH]
https://forums.unrealengine.com/core/image/gif;base64

Hi! I’m sorry you had problems with the product. We’re not Epic but small independent developers and we always try to provide the best software and support we can. Anyway, apologies accepted.

In the past there was an issue with UE4.24 (https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre…32#post1701032). The problem was appearing only when you were importing assets in UE4.24 (the workaround was to import the assets in UE4.23 and then migrate them). We fixed it, but from your screenshot and the “migrating” phase, your roblem could be related to it.

What are the versions of Unreal Engine involved in your operation?

Unfortunately we can’t see your last posted images. Could you please re-post them?

It’s the same as the post above that.

Besides, I found a work-around. You simply cannot migrate.

Hi All. For some reason when I choose the ‘install to Engine’ it doesn’t list 4.26? I have that installed and wanted to get this into my project. Is there something I’m missing?

Hi!

Premise: for the option to appear, you must have the corresponding UE4 version installed on your system. In this case ensure to have the UE4.26 installed (but I suppose you already have it :slight_smile: )

First option: reboot your PC. The Launcher caches many things and it’s possible it missed something. Rebooting the PC should refresh some of its cached data.

Second option: run the Verify option on the UE4.26 installation (click on the arrow in the Launch button). When done, retry to install the plugin.

Third option: contact Epic asking for support at https://marketplacehelp.epicgames.com/s/marketplace-case-form

(if other users have other suggestions, please write them)

Hi, im getting this error when trying to do the retarget mixamo skeleton asset (always crashes my engine)

Assertion failed: RefSkeleton.FindBoneIndex(RootBoneName) == RootIndex [File:D:/Build/++Portal+Promotion/Sync/LocalBuilds/PluginTemp/HostProject/Plugins/MixamoAnimationRetargeting/Source/MixamoAnimationRetargeting/Private/MixamoSkeletonRetargeter.cpp] [Line: 524] Root bone at index 0

UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_MixamoAnimationRetargeting!FMixamoSkeletonRetargeter::SetupTranslationRetargetingModes() [D:\Build++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\MixamoAnimationRetargeting\Source\MixamoAnimationRetargeting\Private\MixamoSkeletonRetargeter.cpp:524]
UE4Editor_MixamoAnimationRetargeting!FMixamoSkeletonRetargeter::Retarget() [D:\Build++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\MixamoAnimationRetargeting\Source\MixamoAnimationRetargeting\Private\MixamoSkeletonRetargeter.cpp:287]
UE4Editor_MixamoAnimationRetargeting!FMixamoSkeletonRetargeter::RetargetToUE4Mannequin() [D:\Build++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\MixamoAnimationRetargeting\Source\MixamoAnimationRetargeting\Private\MixamoSkeletonRetargeter.cpp:199]
UE4Editor_MixamoAnimationRetargeting!FMixamoToolkitEditorIntegration::ExecuteAction_RetargetMixamoSkeletons() [D:\Build++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\MixamoAnimationRetargeting\Source\MixamoAnimationRetargeting\Private\MixamoToolkitEditorIntegration.cpp:61]
UE4Editor_MixamoAnimationRetargeting!TBaseSPMethodDelegateInstance<1,FMixamoToolkitEditorIntegration const ,0,void __cdecl(void),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy>::ExecuteIfSafe() [D:\RocketSync\4.26.0-14830424+++UE4+Release-4.26\Working\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateInstancesImpl.h:307]
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_ApplicationCore
user32
user32
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
kernel32
ntdll

i should add that this is my version of mixamo skeleton(it’s all the same, all the same bone names, but it has an extra bone I’ve added in maya(the hair). not sure if that’s whats causing the crash.

Hi!

In general there’s no problem to have extra bones in the skeleton. But they must not interfere with the expected bone indexes, names and hierarchies.

Specifically, the error is a failed check: our plugin is not finding the skeleton root bone as first bone in the skeleton (at index 0). This doesn’t happen when the plugin works on standard Mixamo skeletons, so I suspect your modification could have caused an unexpected change in the order of the bones. Remember also to not add a root bone (and in general any bone called “root”) yourself, as this is not a use-case managed by the plugin (it expects a standard Mixamo skeleton, without any root bone).

Hi everyone!

I quick update to let you know that we’re working on brand new documentation and videos, to help you take maximum advantage of the plugin.

We’ll cover the basic usages of the plugin, and describe how to solve some commonly asked questions.

We’ll update the topic when we’ll publish the first materials.