Missing skills needed for Freelancing

Hello,

I have been using UE4 for at least 3 years and I am interesting in getting into freelancing, though I am unsure on what I am missing from my skillset.

I primarily use C++/Blueprints on Unreal Engine 4, but have only dabbled with animation, material shading and particles.

What skills would one need to (at bare minimum) start freelancing with Unreal Engine 4?

I know this question is pretty obvious to many of you, but I want to make sure I’m not missing anything obvious.

Your question is difficult to answer because it depends on what you are being hired to do. Unreal Engine is better thought of in my opinion as a suite of programs. I don’t think anybody knows the totality of Unreal inside out. If you want to be a generalist that can in principle make a full game by yourself then i’d say you need moderate to extensive knowledge on blueprints, world building, materials, animation and the packaging process. That last one is a big one that most people don’t think of. The packaging pipe line is going to bring you hell.

Thanks for the response!

Since I have a background in C++ programming, I feel that I could specialize in this area and work with my strengths.

Would I still need to understand the basics of Blueprints (though this I have more experience with than the rest), World Building, Materials, Animation and the Packaging Process, or can I go with C++ Programming in UE4 alone?