Missing SDK in UE 5.0 (cannot build the game), but SDK there in 5.1.1.?

Aloha,

i tried to pack and build a project in UE 5.0, but UE told me just now, that the SDK for Windows is missing, could not be found, and aborted the building process.
The interesting thing is, i also have UE 4.27 installed, there it gets packed without any problems. The project originally started in 4.27 and i just copied it to UE 5.0.
Even weirder is, that i also have UE 5.1.1 installed, so i took the UE 5.0 version, and copied it to UE 5.1.1 for testing, and there it gets packed and built too, everything is properly installed, SDK is there, nothing missing.

After some reading in some forum posts ( like this here: Package for Windows UE5? Missing SDK or that one UE5 shows SDK not setup error while trying to package the game? Solutions? ), checking a video

and installing the mentioned stuff like Dotnet and the recommended SDK from Microsoft, and doing, what they said there would be the solution, UE 5.0 still says no SDK installed.

Anyone have an idea, why UE 5.0 won´t accept any of this, while everything is fine for 4.27 and 5.1.1? :slight_smile:

Ok, i managed to solve it, and it was a weird bug with Win10 and dotnet 6.0.15. As it turned out, for some unknown reason, the dotnet runtime installed itself just partially on my machine (and that happened to others aswell as a Google Search showed).
The missing part was the whole folder “C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.WindowsDesktop.App\6.0.15”, and no matter what i did, it refused to install this 6.0.15 folder.

So i took the dotnet runtime installer and installed it on a different computer, there everything got installed, then i just copied everything from there into my main machine, to get the missing folder where it belongs.
Then i ran the verification for UE 5.0, just to be sure, in my game, i forced update device (from the screenshot), and after a restart, everything was finally working and UE 5.0 found and recognized the SDK, and was able to package the game.

1 Like