Download

Missing hostfxr.dll (.NET Core Runtime) When Creating a UE5 Project

I get the following error when trying to create a new Unreal Engine 5 project.

An error occurred while trying to generate project files.

Running D:/Apps/Epic Games/UE_5.0EA/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.exe  -projectfiles -project="D:/HD/Projects/Unreal Projects/AtlanticaWorlds/AtlanticaWorlds.uproject" -game -rocket -progress
A fatal error occurred. The required library hostfxr.dll could not be found.
If this is a self-contained application, that library should exist in [D:\Apps\Epic Games\UE_5.0EA\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool\].
If this is a framework-dependent application, install the runtime in the global location [C:\Program Files\dotnet] or use the DOTNET_ROOT environment variable to specify the runtime location or register the runtime location in [HKLM\SOFTWARE\dotnet\Setup\InstalledVersions\x64\InstallLocation].

The .NET Core runtime can be found at:
  - https://aka.ms/dotnet-core-applaunch?missing_runtime=true&arch=x64&rid=win10-x64

Installing .NET 5.0 didn’t work.
Repairing .NET 5.0 didn’t work.
Installing .NET Core 3.1.15 didn’t work either.

Unreal Engine is installed on the D drive instead of the C drive. Could this be causing this issue?

Update: 1:

The [D:\Apps\Epic Games\UE_5.0EA\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool] directory does have “UnrealBuildTool.exe” present.

I confirmed that the [C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.AspNetCore.App] directory has both the 3.1.15 and 5.0.6 subdirectories.

The “dotnet” registry directory is missing in [Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE].

Update 2:

I’ve been getting this error while trying to create a C++ game project for PCs.
I tried creating a Blueprint project and it seems to work just fine.
I still need a C++ project for my game.
Does anyone know how to convert a UE5 Blueprint project into a C++ project? This could be my workaround.

1 Like

Fix:

For anyone else having this issue:
Installing the .NET 5.0 and .NET Core 3.1 Runtimes did not solve this issue.
Installing the .NET 5.0 SDK didn’t resolve this issue either.
It wasn’t until after I installed the .NET Core 3.1 SDK x64 that I was able to create a UE5 C++ game project.

4 Likes

Thank you so much! I was actually having another somewhat related problem, in that I couldnt package a project due to missing sdk. Installing .NET Core 3.1 SDK x64 fixed the issue.

1 Like

Thanks buddy, the editor does not specify which version to download :smiley:

1 Like

Download .NET Core 3.1 SDK x64 here: Download .NET Core 3.1 SDK (v3.1.409) - Windows x64 Installer

3 Likes

Thanks, I tried several .NET packages before without success, but installing exactly the “.NET Core 3.1 SDK v3.1.409 x64” solved the issue!

3 Likes

Thank you for posting, that fixed the issue for me.

I also found that the issue only affect C++ projects, I was able to create a Blueprint project.

I suspect that the UE5 Preview installer should be installing this, but is not, the kind of thing which might not show up in testing if the testing was done on a system that already had the Microsoft .NET Core 3.1 SDK v3.1.409 x64 installed.

1 Like

Thanks man :smiley:

1 Like