Missing Bones from bind pose, Help needed

Hey folks,

I created a very simple character for a racing simulator.
It has 4 bones.

B_Root
B_Bottom
B_Upper
B_Back

These are all parented to the root bone.
I made the character and rig in Blender, the only bone without any weights is the root bone.
However I get this warning when importing the skeletal mesh.

***Warning The following bones are missing from the bind pose:
B_Bottom_end
B_Upper_end
B_Back_end

This can happen for bones that are not vert weighted. If they are not in the correct orientation after importing,
please set the “Use T0 as ref pose” option or add them to the bind pose and reimport the skeletal mesh.

Can anyone explain why this happening, and how to solve it?

—Solved—
->
there is an option in blenders exporter called “add leaf bones” that’s on by default, when its on it adds extra bones, turning it off will stop the extra bones being added and should fix your problem.

hope that helps

Yup that was the problem. Thanks a lot.

5 Likes

From looking at the skeleton in ue4.
It seems as though the Bones I am exporting all count as two bones. Where the tail gets renamed for some reason to “bone_Name”_end.
Except for the root bone.

How do i prevent this from happening?

2 Likes

there is an option in blenders exporter called “add leaf bones” that’s on by default, when its on it adds extra bones, turning it off will stop the extra bones being added and should fix your problem.

hope that helps:)

2 Likes

So yeah, apparently I forgot to check skeletal.
However, I am missing a bind pose now.
Any ideas how to add it to my fbx file using blender?

Bones werent imported, ignore this.

2 Likes

I have turn off add leaf bones, now my bones aren’t even exported.
I have no idea what I did, but I am not exporting my bones anymore.
Gonne take a 5 minute break

1 Like

Ok solved the no bones problem.
Ready to venture on.

2 Likes

glad you got it solved:)

1 Like

thank you sir.

1 Like

Why didnt you say what the solution was have the same issue right now?!?!?!

3 Likes

In case someone is still looking for where to check the “Use T0 as ref pose” it is in the skeletal mesh advanced options, when you are importing the fbx to unreal.

4 Likes

Where is it located if the import comes from daz?

2 Likes

removing leaf bones makes an fbx without animation

1 Like

THanks . Helped a lot

1 Like

Bless you.

1 Like

So I followed the suggestion but then i had an issue. My bones keep getting renamed to (bone name)_end. It is the last bone in the chain / hierarchy. How do i fix this issues?

1 Like

Not sure how it works in Blender as I use 3ds Max but here is how it all works

The bind pose is the set pose in which a skinning solution was added so to import the asset correctly what ever the skinning solution it needs to included all of the bones as part of the skeletal hierarchy. This is because the weight table is extracted as part of the mesh detail so in UE4-5 you have a separate SK rig and SK mesh so that the mesh can be interchange using a single rig.
If the SK mesh is missing a bone contained in the the rig asset you you will get an error message, non-critical, as it might be needed as part of the weight table.
To fix it you just need to make sure that all bones are added to the skinning solution used in blender.

1 Like

Hi, i was having the same issue in UE5 and this solution worked! My character mesh was all messed up even though ive exported to sketchfab with no issues, i was almost giving hope. I’ve just checked the T0 as ref, thanks! :grinning:

1 Like