Mirror shader

I’m not sure to understand the expression “glancing angles” (goggle translator was useless…).
Do you mean when the camera forward vector is almost parallel to the reflective plan?
If so: I asked myself the same question and I searched for images of reflecting marbles. It appeared that you could have clear and strong reflections even if you’re in front of a marble surface if it’s perfectly polished.
But I think you’re right: reflections would increase when approaching to “glancing angles”, just like a glass. And using a Fresnel falloff to increase/decrease would be necessary here. It is not implemented yet in the video.

Ah sorry, glancing angle basically means a ray that is approaching 90 degrees to the normal of the surface. But I think you’ve understood what I meant. :slight_smile:

What would be really useful with this shader, is to be able to specify the reflection strength at 0° and 90° to the normal, as well as the falloff exponent for maximum control (default would be linear, I guess, but its sometimes handy in rendered CG to be able to override that falloff for a specific look)

Keep up the good work

Really great - planar reflections are something I miss from older engines. However, the obvious question of expensive this is in a deferred renderer arises - does having an object with this shader essentially half the fps?

New video: reflections intensity are driven by a Fresnel expression.

@:

Thanks! Yes, I miss them too!

I would say you loose about 30% of your framerate, not 50%. That’s what I see when I disable “Capture every frame” so that it only captures the scene when the camera is moving.
So: very expensive but not as much as you could expect (2 renders of the scene –> fps/2). I think SceneCaptureReflect actor in UDK was very expensive too when you used a big render target.

@:

Exactly.
In this video, all the parameters (falloff, fraction, lerping values, global reflections intensity, etc…) where defined once in the material instances for each stone. But they could and should be driven at runtime by blueprint stuff to give the best results in all situations in a level (camera position, stone hit by lights or on the shadow side, bright or darker base texture, etc…). I don’t know if it’s possible but, ideally, you should even be able to drive something like falloff by some kind of curves. So you could even have much more control. I’ll work on this, using Material Parameter Collections.

Not finished yet but I just can’t resist showing what it looks like.
Realtime reflections on a floor - mirror or pure chrome metallic floor.

That looks great. Definitely night and day compared to SSR for same use case.

That’s what I said to myself while working on it :wink:

Edy, it looks epic without question. It is exactly how it supposed to be when thinking about reflectiobs.

What worries me is the little amount of items being on the screen yet fps being 26ish max with nothing else going on.

Do you think you can address that, or that is something we have to sacrifice in order to get perfect reflection?

Thanks!

@Achilleon:
Fortunately, I think we have nothing to sacrifice but I have something to change: my PC.
Seriously, my config is : Intel Q6600 + GTX 560 + 4 GO ram. It’s 10 years old, far away from the recommanded configuration and this stuff is a little too much for it: a level running at 1920x1080 (Epic settings) + 1 scenecapture at 1920x1080 + recording —> 22/26 fps.
When I reduce resolutions at 1280x720, even when recording, I get 30/35 fps, which is much better but still unsatisfying.
However, I have to change it because working in the editor is sometimes slow and tedious (compiling shaders in particular). And I can’t wait to test all this on a good new config.

I’m sure it will run fine and would be playable, even in complex levels as you can find in games today.
To demonstrate it, I’d like to implement these reflections in a demo provided by Epic, maybe the Shooter Game or the Sun Temple Level.

If you’re ever interested in having tests run on other specs I’d be interested, feel free to shoot me a PM. Fantastic work, keep it up!

Ah great news! Thank you and good luck! Can’t wait for this! 10/10 would buy twice.

@Achilleon: thanks for your support!
@hippowombat: ok, great, I’ll consider doing so when I have something almost releasable.

Trying to setup various metallic materials, to enhance realtime reflections on floor. Also: enhanced by these reflections.
Never worked on metallic materials. These are trials and have to be improved.
All this metallic floors are very reflective but some metals have weak and blurred reflections, quicky “fading out”. For these ones, I have to find a way to fade out reflections as they go deeper under the floor. Would be useful too for stone reflections (marble or wood floor, for example).

I am throwing money at my screen but nothing is happening! D:

This functionnality is not implemented yet. Actively working on it :wink:

EdWasHere.

If you don’t finish this in next few days, I will cuddle the closest cat around.

I’D DO IT! NO HESITATION! I AM FILLED WITH DETERMINATION!

No really, any updates? :3

@EdWasHere> Absolutely stunning work. Please skip sleep and all social activities until you have this submitted to Marketplace :smiley:

absolutely fantastic work, really looking forward to your pack and seeing how you did it :slight_smile:

: thanks a lot, guys ! : no updates but still working on it, to achieve reflections on rough surfaces (metals, wet concrete, cuddled cat fur, etc…). It requires new postprocess stuff. Not finished yet. I’ll post something when almost done.
Working on portals too, as I think these techniques could also be used to achieve fully functionnal portals that I could include in the pack.

This looks awesome! How much will Glasses shaders pack cost?