Minute long wait for "Undo"

On one of my projects, I’m facing up to 1 minute long waits for any of my "undo"s. I have a high number of assets (props and materials) in this project, but my levels aren’t particularly heavily populated. What could be the cause of this? Waiting a minute every time I make a small slip up, or decide to experiment, is making for quite a frustrating experience.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

How many BSP brushes?

My workflow is to break levels up into many sub levels keeping each to about 150-200 actors. Then when I’m completely done. I mean so done you haven’t touched it in a week done. Then I combine them all. This will keep your undo to about a second.

I did a whole bunch of stripping of unnecessary BSPs and sections, and now I have about 230 actors left in my level, many of which are Box Brushes, some of which are Cylinder Brushes, few of which are static meshes. Is this a high number of actors to be in a scene with some performance issues?

Thanks for all your help, Chris.

Hi bnisbet,

To add to Christopher’s answer, BSP are meant for place holders to block out your level. Once you swap them out for Static Meshes your performance should improve quite a bit. BSP’s are very performance heavy.

Thanks, TJ

I have over 2000 bsp brushes for a single scene. Combined into one level it can work. I have my reasons for it but it can work.

What do you mean by BSP’s are meant for place holders? The level creation tutorial instructs users to create their environment using BSPs. Is this bad practice? I have a couple hundred Box Brushes in my scene ATM and not sure how to deal with the situation. (Also getting the 1 minute undo)

BSP are heavy on performance. They are meant to prototype your level. If you just want to have fun and mess around. Use them. Break them up and only do about 120 per level. Then create a new level. You later use a modeling program to create final assets. For the time being make a fun game test it out then make it pretty.