Mind's Eye - UE5 Game Cinematic

SUMMARY:

Mind’s Eye is a game cinematic made in Unreal Engine which aims to blend Mirror’s Edge and Bladerunner 2049.

CORE TEAM:

Adrian Cota - Previs | Layout | Lighting | Environment Art | Team Lead

Emily Lindsay - Animator

Sergio Santos - Character Concept | Character Art

Wenlong Yu - FX Artist | Props | Environment Art

FREELANCERS:

Daniel Baldwin - Music Composer

MJ Clemente - Concept Artist

Alexander Silva - Animation

Natalie Storr - Animation

We are in the production stage at the moment.
This is our WIP Alpha:

Appreciate any feedback that you have.

2 Likes

Hi there @adriancotaart,

Hope you’re doing well.

Love the animation and how action-filled the video is throughout. Was this created as practice to create a game trailer or for an actual game?

Thanks.

It’s being made as practise to create a cinematic using Unreal Engine.
It’s not planned, at the moment, to make it playable.

1 Like

Well then I look forward to seeing your next big project. Especially if this was just practice :slight_smile:

Here is next iteration of our alpha.

Got the character in. Still a lot of work to do. Glitch FX of the environment need to be added and the drone still needs work. Cameras also need tweaking especially in the end sequence.

Appreciate any feedback.

1 Like

Alpha 04

Sergio found a fix for some of the weird proportions of the character so she looks more normal now. :sweat_smile:

In process of populating the scene and adjusting lighting.

This iteration includes a more thought out end sequence.

Still working on the drone and the FX of the environment still needs better implementation.

Appreciate any feedback.

how did you make the local glitch of the vent in the first video at 0.36 min ?

1 Like

Mind’s Eye Beta

Just working on improving it now. In the polishing phase.

We have noted somethings that need more work:

Lean into the glitch effect a bit more explicitly.
The voice acting needs to have more emotion.
The slogans, billboards and logos should glitch at the same time and unveil a different meaning.
The slow motion shot didn’t have the intended impact.
The lighting sometimes feels like a sunny day instead of the intended look.

Any more feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

oh … hey … @adriancotaart … hope you are well!

Looking good … making great progress! Amazing how much this has changed!

With regards to feedback … here are three things you prob already know:

shot 09 (actor slides down building):

camera animation … starts close and ends wide but I wonder if the move from close to wide is a bit bumpy and needs smoothing out a little … or would a cut to a wider shot work better?

shot 10 (actor lands and rolls):

actor animation … looks like a slow motion landing that transitions to a real time forward roll … but I wonder if you might try keeping this shot all real time … yes, I know it will make the shot a bit shorter but perhaps you can add a few frames to the slow motion in shot 09? Anyway, just a thought.

and finally,

the end shot:

All good … but anything you can do to get the actor to look more directly into the camera … right now, they look like they are looking below camera … kind of like they are a bit shy;
Lighting on that actors face at the end of the shot … you prob already tried this … but how about trying something a bit more sinister, darker, with some red rim lights or even a red uplight?

Sos, it is easy to get carried away when it is not your own project … lol!

Quick question:

The Special Thanks … at the end of the video … “Mark Wallman” … is that Mark from the University of Hertfordshire? Only asking because we worked together a long, long time ago … but not in a galaxy far, far away!

1 Like

Hi. @ivorg Yeah we are aware of a lot of what you brought up. But I appreciate the possible solution suggestions and feedback.

Yes that is the Mark Wallman from the University of Hertfordshire.