Migration question

Hi Folks!

I would like to understand what migration means. It is possible to transfer assets from one project to another project. But what does it mean? Does that mean that the assets are physically copied to the new destination (and occupy more hard disk space), or does it mean that the assets will be linked?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Migration copies not only the assets you want to copy to another project, but also the assets they reference. For example, if you want to copy a static mesh to another project, that static mesh references a material, and that material references a texture. So the migrated assets will be the static mesh, the material, and the texture. If you copy things by hand, you may miss something and cause broken references in the new project.

This comes in handy when you are migrating things like blueprints, where they may reference tons of assets. Instead of having to manually locate each one, you only have to worry about the assets you want to copy, then the migration system deals with the rest.

The entire folder structure is copied as well.

e.g. Gen Assets → Meshes → SM_Rock

Migrating SM_Rock will copy the mesh along with the folder structure and all mesh dependencies (Material, Material instance, textures).

When you click migrate a context menu will list everything that’s required for migration.

Thank you. That means all the dependencies are physically copied to the new destination and not simply linked?

Correct. All are physically copied (duplicated).

1 Like

I wish for the next version something like a common repository accessible for all projects. So one can save space when same assets are used in more than one project.

You can do that already. Just put the content in the engine content folder:

This makes them accessible to all projects with the same engine version. Though, you need to make sure that any assets you put in the engine content only reference assets in the engine content.

1 Like

Oh, this is a good news. There are a lot of things I still have to learn… Thanks.

1 Like