Migrate to specific folder

Migrate asks where the “Content” folder of the new project is.

But can I migrate assets to a specific folder in the Content directory?

1 Like

I’ve wanted that feature, too, but I don’t think it can be done.

I have to first migrate to the new project using the same path, and then move it around once migrated, and then fixup redirectors once everything is moved.

Can you drag assets into another project and still keep dependencies?

+1 for what Jwatte said, when using the migrate tool it will mirror the directories.

So you’re options would be to move around assets pre-migration or post-migration.

Dragging assets into another project will not bring over their dependencies.

Also, redirectors are little files that get left behind when moving assets in-editor. Right-clicking on a folder and selecting ‘Fix Up Redirectors in Folder’ will safely delete them.

I would love it if I could Migrate the Directory in one project and have the New Project inherit the previous projects Folder structure. Are you saying that is a possibility?
So nested directories from one project can get Migrated to a new project and keep the nested folder structure?

Yes, the folder structure will be the same. I guess the difference in asset organization is

Content/Materials/MyMat.uasset
Content/Textures/MyTex.uasset
(where all materials from many projects could get mixed together)

vs

Content/Flowers/Materials/MyMat.uasset
Content/Flowers/Textures/MtTex.uasset
(where you are just bringing flowers over into their own directory)

It will all make sense once you migrate a few things.

1 Like

Just one more question. Are both asset organization strategies able to work with Migrate and maintain directory structure, or is there a specific asset organization that is preferred with UE production?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

That’s exactly what Migrate does for whatever assets and dependencies you choose.

There is no drag-and-drop, you must use the right-click and Migrate option.

Migrate doesn’t care, it just follows whatever your folder structure is.

There are no universal conventions for folder structure, only for naming:

1 Like

This makes lots of sense.

I download some free Assets from market to try, but I don’t want to trace all the assets in my version control system. I wish I can put the downloaded assets in a folder which is ignored by vcs.
If an asset is good to me, then I can migrate it into another folder and then vcs starts track it.

Epic is creating a library called Fab, it might be something users can create to store all their personal work on a user controlled private library. The user can then migrate their assets to any project they want. Fab is also going to be a large library that will contain Sketchup, Quixel and marketplace assets.

1 Like