Methuman/MHC EULA - How far does it go?

Hi, I’ve seen the a lot of posts and questions on MHC’s EULA, and while I’ve read the EULA in it’s entirety, as well as those posts on the forums, I would like something to be clarified, as it seems a bit vague in the details.

Can Metahumans, made and rendered in MHC/UE5, be used as still images for purposes outside of UE5?

Let me give you some examples, all of these are hypothetical though I’ve seem some similar uses across social media;

Example A.
Someone who makes comics uses MHC to create artistic references for their characters. They take stills of their Downloaded Character and modify them in Photoshop, where they then export to their tablet to draw over with their app of choice.

Example B.
Someone made a training video using stills of metahumans by putting them in UE5 to create the scenes, exporting to Photoshop, masking, and adding them to an After Effects project.

Example C.
Someone downloaded and rendered Metahumans for use with a 3D concept model of a commercial building. However, they took the renders from UE5, masked out the metahumans, and added them into the concept.

The EULA states that you may not…

“modify or otherwise prepare derivative works of (Metahuman Technology)”

The key term that’s causing some mix-ups there is “Metahuman Technology.”

MetaHuman Technology ” means the MetaHuman Assets, MetaHuman Creator and the Generated Characters (excluding UGC and Retained Rights)."

At first glance, this makes it seem as though the EULA is saying you can not “modify or otherwise prepare derivative works of” MetaHuman assets, the program itself, and it’s characters.

However, under “Generated Characters” it states:

Generated Characters ” mean digital human characters created by your use of MetaHuman Creator with MetaHuman Assets and/or UGC under the terms of this Agreement.

So, would this mean that all metahumans can only be used in UE5 and with no other programs and for no other uses whatsoever?

1 Like

Greetings @Spencer.AMD !

Welcome to the Unreal Engine community! :medal_sports:

Just so you’re aware, I’ve had to move this topic from the Feedback for Unreal Engine Team forum to the Community & Industry Discussion forum. I added the optional tag “eula” for you.

The Feedback for Unreal Engine Team forum is for suggestions on how to improve the Unreal Engine. :wink: But no worries!

Please remember, when posting, be sure to review the categories to ensure your topic is posted in the most relevant space.

Happy Developing and have a most phenomenal day!

'- Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator