Metasound outputs accessible via blueprint?

With metasounds and metasoundsources you can create outputs. The main use I have found for them is when you want to use a metasound within a metasoundsource or a metasoundsource within another metasoundsource.

For example, you make a metasound that generates a random float and then you make one of the outputs a float. Essentially how a blueprint macro works.

macro metasound

Is it currently possible to access them via blueprint though? For example, make an output of the cue point trigger and then access that via a blueprint. Or is that possibly a planned feature?

Also, some feedback regarding the metasound naming. I think a metasound should be renamed to “metasound macro”. If you know what a blueprint macro is, right away you will know how to use it.

2 Likes

Hey, i believe you cannot access outputs in BP yet, although i think its intended behaivour in the future.

2 Likes

Hi, any insights yet? We are trying like this, but a part from the parameter name the actual count value is not updated (stays at 0)

1 Like

Hey, any updates on this?

MetaSound outputs in Blueprints have not been implemented, no. Right now, you can only use the outputs of MetaSounds within other MetaSounds.

It’s now been 7 months, any news?

2 Likes

I am also waiting for my blueprint to get some messages from METASOUND and need output

Hey Anna - is this still true? We were looking to fire a trigger out from the MS to drive a visual element.

Yup, this is still true

Thanks for confirming.

Just an update on this for everyone. If you check the Unreal Engine 5.3 roadmap you can see they are working on metasound output capability.

Essentially you will be able to listen via blueprint or C++ for changes in a metasound.
For example, when a sound reaches a specific volume play a particle effect.

Thanks, Epic Audio Team!

https://portal.productboard.com/epicgames/1-unreal-engine-public-roadmap/c/1022-metasound-output-watching-experimental

5 Likes

Any news on this?