MetaHumans, Live Link Face & Take recorder

Hey!

I’ll try and keep this as focused as possible. Aware there’s a lot here, but potentially it’ll help someone attempting this setup— and any insights about any issue here would be greatly appreciated too!

When using MetaHumans in a project (imported from Bridge) I’m experiencing the following issues:

Specific to Mac Pro (using as UE has a UI error on our Windows machines):

• Pressing play in any project with MetaHumans in (regardless of render quality/scaling), UE crashes. The crash report seems to include naming issues. Other heavy scenes/blueprints load and play just fine.

Specific to Windows:

These glitches happen when using any part of the UI that introduces another module of the UI. For instance hints, menus, etc.

344051-ezgif-7-d4edacb8d5af.gif

I’m not sure to what extent this is MH or not, but this did happen on opening a MetaHuman project. I’ve verified the install and it appears to be fine. I’ve installed 4.27 and the bug still happens. Worth noting the drivers are the latest and other software/rendering works just fine. Also all supported hardware/high spec machine.

On both Mac Pro and high spec Windows machines:

• Live Link Face connects just fine however

• When selecting Live Link Face in take recorder, despite the MetaHuman moving just fine in real time, sometimes on recording, nothing is recorded. I have to restart UE to make it work again. But sometimes even then it doesn’t record.

• If I instead drag in the MetaHuman BP, it records, however due to a known bug, the head moves into the chest on playback. The proposed fix is to Force Custom Mode on the animation track, however I’ve been having further issues with this and physics. This is an example of the issue from Reddit.

• Sometimes Live Link Face settings randomly reset in the MetaHumans head config.

• When baking live link face capture to a MetaHuman in a new sequence, head movement is lost and only face movement is carried across. This should be fixed in 4.27, by toggling on the new Evaluate All Skeletal Mesh Components toggle, however 4.27 appears to be even more buggy and introduces more issues.

• Sometimes all movement is lost when recording Live Link face in Take Recorder, and this can sometimes be fixed by setting device to none, adding a live link skeleton component, or toggling “spoonable”.

• I’ve also noticed that hair physics appear to sometimes not work, though I can’t work out why.

• Some MetaHumans only have hair for some LOD, which makes sense, however it appears there’s a bug which can mean the hair disappears regardless of the LOD, which can be fixed by re-importing the MetaHuman. I hope there’s a faster fix.

I will caveat, that I don’t have a huge amount of experience in UE specifically around the sequencer and Take Recorder and perhaps (I hope) some of these are just points missing from documentation because everyone just knows them! Though that said, the documentation for some of the above does include functionality that in my limited chats with devs is definitely not in UE (yet), such as Live Face Link record button not actually integrating with Take Recorder as documented.

I’ve also heard that there will be a raw data import from Live Link Face captures to avoid data throttling making for missing frames.

I’m also waiting to be part of the UDN, so hopefully when I’m in, I can get some direct support— I will share any insights I can here, as I know there are similar threads popping up around as people try this workflow.

Cheers and apologies for so much info in one go, but I figure it is a workflow that will be used by many others and therefore these are issues that I expect we’ll all have to deal with in some capacity.