MetaHumans in Commercial Use Outside of Gaming?

In short, does the Metahuman EULA allow me to export rendered screenshots and videos for use with other apps for commercial use?

For example, can I setup, pose, and render a metahuman in UE5 and then use After Effects or Photoshop to mask them out and use them in commercial use videos? (Like a training video for a company, or a short video advertisement?)

I’ve read the EULA twice-over, and everything makes sense, except for the usage of “Metahuman Technology” - that’s where the spanner gets thrown into the works.

“(You may not…) modify or otherwise prepare derivative works of (Metahuman Technology)”

“Metahuman Technology” is defined by the EULA as “MetaHuman Assets, MetaHuman Creator and the Generated Characters (excluding UGC and Retained Rights).”

That last bit, “Generated Characters” applies to all characters made using MHC. So am I “modifying” the downloaded characters by masking them out in video (or photo) editing software? Would creating commercial-use projects that way be creating a derivative work?

2 Likes