Metahuman unreal 5.4 physics changed / correct collision settings for a metahuman?

Hi everybody,

I recently switched my project (full of metahumans) to UE5.4
Where I got my physics for the metahumans more or less correct in UE5.2 this is all going wrong again in UE5.4

It seems my metahumans are falling as ragdolls down, once physics and collision are set.

When retrying in 5.2 my metahumans fall suddenly down as ragdolls too.
Which never happened before. So I’m afraid something has changed on a deeper level.

These are my settings in unreal 5.2 for now, in a clean project, with a clean reimport of a 5.2 metahuman
I’ve always set the collision to this configuration before, without really understanding it. I never wondered as it seemed to work. Afterward, I added breast physics to it with constraints. But now, in this clean project I haven’t even touched the physics asset. It’s a clean import.

But strangely enough, this doesn’t seem to work anymore (fall down issue, when hitting play).

One thing I noticed with an older overweight version of the same metahuman is that the shapes in the physics asset in the old version are “kinematic”, while in the normal weight version, it was set to “default”. Changing this for all the shapes gave me better results in 5.4, but then the neck gets separated when adding an animation file to the metahuman:

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you,
Lieven

@Lieven.V Did you find a solution to this? I’m struggling with the same right now.

The modular character docs say physics are not capable on leader pose component modularity.

I got physics working on the Metahuman body.
You have to change two things.
Set collision in Body skeletal mesh in Metahuman BP to Physics Only.
Then to fix the gap between head and body, go to Face and set Tick Group to Post Physics.

1 Like