Metahuman recorded animation doesn't work properly in Level sequence !?

Hi
I recorded Live-link animation of a metahuman with “Take Recorder”. when I open the Animation it works with no problem. but when I try to use the animation in a level sequence only face works (body and head rotations doesn’t work), as I mentioned in Photo

I used iclone 8 and setup everything with the Reallusion YouTube tutorials.

sometimes animation works properly in viewport "while using the level sequence " but when I capture the scene, captured video still has the problem

these may help to understand the problem better:

I can’t change “Retarget source” of animation scenes (there is only “default” option) where as in tutorials, others can do it.

In take recorder I can’t enable “live link recorded properties” because UE5 crashes.

I selected the source of Take recorder “From actor”

Also skeleton moves, but Metahuman doesn’t

You need to delete the body and face control rigs (from the sequence and don’t worry you can easily add them back if need be). Your animation then should play fine.

1 Like

when first I delete control rigs and then add animations it doesn’t work
and when first I add animations and then delete control rigs , everything is okay in viewport but in capturing still only face works and body doesn’t!

1 Like

weird solution that may cause problems in the future : (I’m not okay with that)
first I added animations and then deleted control rigs, then I baked the body to control rig and it worked.
I know sometimes baking to control rig may cause some problems
first problem: head rotation doesn’t work

I did this with a few animations and they all worked fine - I will double check and get back to you on.

I did a quick test and all worked fine - see video here: Control rig animation - YouTube

I did a quick animation, baked the animation to an animation sequence, and then applied it to the body. Also had to delete control rigs from the body/face.

If you are animating body and face you would need to add animation to both the body and face track.

It is a bit of weird solution, but only way I know how to get them to work. Generally I would use this control rig more for short tweaks or simple animations and all other animations I would do outside of Unreal in Blender (or whatever 3D program you use).

There is a tutorial here on it Retargeting Animations for Metahumans in Unreal Engine 5 - YouTube to start with this is just applying animation packs to metahumans, but towards the end of this video he goes into more detail about saving animations.

Not sure you have exactly the same problem, that i had: Every animation works but the head movement, so all expressions or body movement but not the head.
My solution was to go to the facial animation in the sequencer, right-click on the animation > properties> force custom mode.
then everything worked fine.

1 Like

Hi! Thanks! I followed the video and deleted the rigs and animation started working again!!

1 Like

Do you all know why I can’t add my animation sequence to the face of a metahuman? It’s there in content browser but doesn’t show up when I try to add it to Face in sequencer.