Metahuman performance

Hi guys,

I notice that metahumans are pretty heavy on performance. When i do the sim. i gerning lagspikes near the metahuman. :o Which way will be best to improve the really performance with metahumans? Honestly I think I only will need the heads (and mby hands) of the metahumans. Are the skeleton heavy on performance? If yes, will there be a way to reduce the heaviness?

Best regards

Or are there any solid character creator that arent so heavy on performance? I know CC4 but not if its heavy :o

At what quality level are you importing your metahumans? Depending on your hardware even the “low” quality metahumans can be performance heavy. If you plan on using them for NPCs or even the player character (having more than one or two in a scene) and not for say a high quality scene with only a one or two characters (and are also looking for optimizing as much as possible for various platforms) I would recommend importing at low quality. I find that for most non-AAA oriented projects the low quality is not only enough but already contain a lot of detail. When importing through Bridge in the “My Metahumans” tab you’ll find the download quality setting
Screenshot 2024-01-21 164321
If you’ve already tried this then you can check what your minimum lod is set to on the body component attached to the root. If it’s set to 0 you can set it to 1 and see how that looks

Hi,

Im currently working on a d-day game level, so there will be more way than 2 metahumans. Will the low quality and lods could bring up the fps with many metahumans? Or are metahumans only made for cinematic or Max 1-2 metahumans In a scene?
I Got rtx 4090, i7, 64 gb ram - so atleast my computer shouldnt be the problem :o

1 Like

Cheers mate! I will try to do it whenever I come home!

Hi again,
Another quick queation. I Got a uniform with around 300.000 polygons. I Bet that is quite to much if every soldier on scene have so many Poly. What way would u reduce the poly? Any software - og just heading for the lod?

Yep… that’s quiet a lot. You can use built-in function in UE. Open your mesh, go to LOD tab on the right, change “Num Of LODs” (max of 8) and click apply. UE will generate LODs on its own and set required distance for them.

1 Like

Thanks! So the LOD should be put to 8 for allowing UE to automatic generate the Lods?

These are the standard settings on the mesh:

You can choose whatever number you want, but the max value of LODs is 8. And you might wanna force LOD to a higher number, find out what works for you.

*Btw, it seems you have some LODs already, so click “Regenerate”

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.