"Metahuman" only with motion capture?

HI

The “Metahuman” project looks amazing. But i wonder if Motion Capture will be the only way to animate the characters?

Thanks

Dude, Control Rig. It’s amazing

I’ve been digging around the same kind of questions as the OP, as I’m trying to get anims that work with the Unreal Skeleton to work on the MetaHuman examples. My issue is that when I popped open the example, the characters looks like a modular characters: Working with Modular Characters | Unreal Engine Documentation

I’m not really sure what control rigs are yet. :frowning: Most of the tutorials I’ve done were Anims off of the UE4 Skeleton

Does anyone know if there are plans to add phoneme support to the control rig/morph targets?

1 Like

I didn’t read it yet, but this is the resource I’m going to be using to try to help my problem and the OC’s problem: Retargeting Animations onto a MetaHuman | Unreal Engine Documentation

IDK about the phoneme support or Metahuman development plans though.

Could you explain a bit more what you mean by ‘phoneme support’?

Yes, sorry, I should have been more clear.

What I mean is pre-baked morph targets for phonemes so that they can be used with systems like this plugin that we are using: Text To Lip Sync in Code Plugins - UE Marketplace (Wich matches phonemes from text to morph targets).

We are generating text and audio assets at runtime rather than including them in the packaged project. I’m sure a system could be made to use animation curves for something like this instead of morph targets but I don’t have the time or knowledge to create something like this at the moment.

If there is any way of achieving this right now, I would love to get some pointer as to where I could read up on it :slight_smile:

Yes, pre-bakes mouth shapes for sounds along with some basic pre-baked expressions would be useful in some applications.