Metahuman custom additive meshes (for both face and body)

Hi, does anyone have any clear tutorials on adding custom meshes to Metahuman.

I wanted to start using custom made eyebrows and hair cards due to experiencing a lot of rendering issues with the default Metahuman creator groom assets.

I am failing miserably trying to find a working workflow. I have tried skinning eyebrows in the rig scene that you get when exporting to Maya from bridge. Someone on Youtube was recommending to reparent joints in a certain manner before exporting, when I do that, Maya complains about multiple joints: ‘The plug-in has found the following skin definition problems :
Unable to find the bind pose for : / DHIbody:root / DHIbody:pelvis / DHIbody:spine_01 / DHIbody:spine_02 / DHIbody:spine_03. Use the DAG node current transform’. I work as a rigger, and this is susp to me. I haven’t touched the joints in any way, no weird transforms on meshes. I’m trying to export the lod0 meshes plus the skinned eyebrows which sits in the same group.

Inside the engine, trying to import that fbx, I get this error:
My setting are:

The joint it complains about must be the body’s spine_04. If I remove it, then the engine will say: hey you’re missing that joint from the bindpose, bring it back.

And in the same light: what is the best workflow for custom clothing: if I want to be adding clothing elements on the fly, like an extra jacket?

I really appreciate any help, step by step guides would be amazing at this stage.

Is there an option to export all the LOD’s in one file? Exporting LOD’s as they were initially organized is not an option. But when I ungroup all Metahuman LOD meshes and group them in Maya LOD groups, there is an error with the root bone in UE. I’ll provide a picture tomorrow.

Thank you, UZERO! I haven’t tested your method yet, but I assume it works! I have found another way to do it, if I just export out the Metahuman_FaceMesh component using FBX 2019, import the file into Maya, skin my hair geo to the joints present (they look like the hierarchy that you have mentioned in your reply!), and then just make sure the joints are not parented under any groups (I think by default Maya creates a group on top of the joints and the face mesh to indicate this is an imported file).

Then, I just go Export All, and also use FBX 2019 (not sure if the version is important). And import it into the engine as Metahuman_FaceMesh02, then I just had to copy paste all setting (including the materials) from the original face mesh, and it seems to work. Just some of the hair binding got affected, and I couldn’t fix some. I think I only managed to have the facial hair working, and the eyelashes.

1 Like

Hi, how were you able to import the fbx to maya? because my import is taking way too long and is eating up a lot of my ram

It does take a while for the face mesh to get imported 100%, I usually just let it run for like 10 minutes, but normally it does import. Just have to be patient with it.