Metahuman and Iphone

Mine is just a question on the new Scanning with metahuman in 5.2. They say it is compatable with the Iphone. How about the Android. Just got a new phone and hate to buy a new one in this economy. Specially on disability lol If
If we can’t will there be an app in the future for it?

Hey there @Phoenixsoulfire1! Welcome back to the community! So face capture is not currently available for Android natively. However some users over the years had worked on a plugin to make it work, however it doesn’t seem to be updated to 5.0+.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Is there somewhere I can find the best specs for an iPhone incase I go that rout. Still new to this. I want to try though before buying an iPhone

I can get you some resources! So one thing you’ll need is the documentation for Live Link:

from what I can tell, iOS 11.0+ and iPadOS11.0+ devices are all capable of using ARkit, though I cannot find information on if the older Livelink apps are still available/compatible for older devices.

1 Like

iPhone 11 or Up is required for the new Metahuman Animator as per their blog.

If you want to use an iPhone—MetaHuman Animator will work with an iPhone 11 or later—you’ll also need the free Live Link Face app for iOS, which will be updated with some additional capture modes to support this workflow.

Link to Blog: New MetaHuman Animator feature set to bring easy high-fidelity performance capture to MetaHumans - Unreal Engine

3 Likes

Unfortunately without the whole ‘machine learning’ logic to transform read information into blend weights for face capture, you end up with fairly limited result.
The android solution is doing some linear/polynomial blend weight generation, but you really need machine learning for this.
I stopped working on the android plugin and… bought an iphone, literally!

There’s some webcam based solution now as an alternative anyway.

I might add ML logic to it in the future tho, as a training ground for my ML skills!

4 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate this.

Thank you so much.

Thank you, I have a lot of thinking and budgeting to do lol

Not sure if I am suppose to make this resolved or you are. I don’t see where it is.

No worries, I’ve got it for you. Let me know if you have any questions!

For reference it’s attached to each response, you just pick one in which was correct/helped.

Does anybody know it an iPhone 12 mini works with the metahuman face mocap app?

yes, iPhone 12 mini has the same camera system as the normal model. I haven’t tested in production, but it didn’t show the non-compatible warning like it does with older iphones.

I believe their blog is already out of date, I tested with an iPhone 11 and it wasn’t compatible (only Livelink) So iPhone 12+ is required.

1 Like

Following up on this, it appears to only be on iPhone 12+ (didn’t work for me on iPhone 11, had to return a phone)