Metahuman and Custom Clothing

Yes, that makes sense. Thank you! The workflow with static meshes will work for sure. I will then also try to add dynamic clothing and see how this pans out.

I managed to get Dynamic clothing work with Metahuman: Metahuman Custom Clothing - YouTube

The way I got it work is to export the skeletal_mesh from UE4 metahuman_base_skel_PeviewMesh into Maya and work on the mesh in Maya then re-export the skeletal mesh back to UE4.

Then I can apply the output just like how Metahuman’s hoodie can be apply to the Metahuman.

The quick output with very lame cloth material is here:

1 Like

Nice one

1 Like

@theARPerson Excellent! I will try to do that as well. Can the export / import from Unreal also be done in Blender or do I need Maya to make it work?

Yeah blender is good, you can retarget the weights in blender and export from there back in to unreal. It’s best to copy the weights from the base mesh to the new mesh.

3 Likes

By watching mixer demo I’m just wondering if it will be possible at some point to throw a metahuman character into Mixer and add some extra level of details (skin paint, skin details…)

2 Likes

Yes, it is definitely possible. However, you will notice that mixer is not strong on character painting yet. It lacks some features like painting with symmetry and good masking options. However, you can already do some basic stuff

1 Like

Actually, strong or not, if Forces you to produce a single texture.
Which in terms of performance - when you are dealing with clothing parts is probablly MORE than ideal.

They have yet to add the right options, but you can also create your own cloth atlases to pan around the mesh.

The end product is always a single texture. Without the headache of having to manually merge different layers into one.

@Dig_Squid
Can you give us any info on if and when the clothing system will actually be finalized with chaos, morphs and world interaction?

Personally, I really don’t feel like working on yet another half baked implementation like that of the old nvcloth, where Backstop is ignored or discarded, and you have to literally spend a week on error resolution and manual cloth-via-vertex painting before getting the effect you want.
(twf am I talking about?

see more here: Bone Breaker: Unreal to Blender )

1 Like

Thanks for your explanation, you gave me the last bit of information that I was missing :smiley:

Here is the full process (at least I hope…) to create custom clothes for your MH from Blender

• In UE4, select your Skeletal mesh and right-click on it, then select asset action and click on export (this will create an FBX file that contains the skeleton and the actual geometry of your asset). I personally choose FBX 2013 but I think you can also use 2016

• In Blender, import your FBX and expand its hierarchy from your scene collection, you should have something similar to this. your actual geometry seats at the bottom of this hierarchy (LOD0)

• Leave your imported FBX untouched and start modeling from a new mesh, line it up with the existing geometry and do the following:

1. Add an armature modifier to your new mesh and select the skeleton root for Object

2. Select your new mesh first then select your root skeleton by keeping the shift key pressed. Then select Object > Parent > With Automatic Weights (Ctrl+P)

3. Your new mesh will be automatically transfer in your imported FBX hierarchy, you can now delete the LOD0 (previous geometry from UE4) and do some test from Blender to see if the weight works correctly. (Select root skeleton, then change your mode from Object Mode to Pose Mode and move some bones to see how your mesh react)

• We can now re-import your mesh to UE4, go to File > export FBX. Select only Armature and Mesh and from the Armature sub menu select Only Deform Bones

• In UE4: Import your FBX and leave everything at default, except the skeleton, choose MH_Base_Skeleton, then click Import ALL

• After that you can follow the explanation of thehemsley and modify your skeletal mesh in your MH Blueprint

7 Likes

I’m 99% sure the same workflow will be compatible with blender, as the intermediate flow is just FBX.

1 Like

If you haven’t tried my plugin, give it a shot.
1 button export, is probably better than having to fiddle with settings.

I may do a “meta-human support” pass on it too - inclusive of clothing parts since they seem to provide some basic.

I’m just not very keen - as explained - on working with half finished stuff that never gets finished like the clothing implementation unreal has had for years.
It’s got nothing to do with the metà humans though. Just puts a damper on actually wanting to work with the engine is all - on top of the pefromance gripe .26 brings.

1 Like

I found if you transfer the weights from the original mesh rather than automatic you’ll get better results.

2 Likes

I’m following this thread, but unable to replace the clothes. I skinned clothes and shoes to the DH:Body skeleton and exported from Maya. I added the skeletal mesh to the bp, but it does not move with the character. Any more details?

Thanks,

Adnan Hussain

1 Like

Did you connect to the master pose component?

I’ve only done this with blender, but, when you import the mesh the fbx importer should recognise that you need to assign a skeleton in the importer window, there you select the metahuman base skeleton and then click import. Now you have the new mesh just go to the blueprint of your metahuman and on the relevant section, I.e. legs, change the skeletal mesh and underneath the material for it and that should all be working. You may need to also re-assign the rig within the skeletal mesh as well. Let me know if that helps. If when you import the fbx and it doesn’t give you the option to select a skeleton then you’ve done something wrong when exporting it from maya.

1 Like

Thank you both. I looked into the master pose component and followed a lesson on setting that up. That fixed it, thanks MostHost_LA. Also, thank you thehemsley, that is good advice too, in this case it was correct on the skeleton side.

Adnan Hussain

2 Likes

Write up a quick tutorial on my approach to add custom clothing with Maya workflow.

I also enabled comment on notion, so happy to collaborate more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Guys, can anyone help with activating the clothing physics. I’ve did it basically, but all the tutorials and documentation are talking about clothing mesh which is part of character’s skeletal mesh, and I am bringing my clothing with skin weights to the torso part of MetahumanBP. And it works great without physics, but with cloth painting enabled, it falls down and doesn’t respect to body collisions. When creating clothing data from it, I do select Physics asset of the body, but it doesn’t seem to respect the collisions
Thanks

Hi all,

Creating clothing for a MetaHuman is just as easy as creating clothing for any Unreal Engine character, with some small constraints (like turtle necks). However, if you have never created clothing for a character in unreal and skinned it / imported it as a skelmesh, then it could feel like this is “not possible out of the box”. Would it be helpful for us to have a video where we go through the general skelmesh creation and import pipeline, but do it with a MetaHuman character?

6 Likes

This is exactly the same workflow I came up with. This thread helped me think about utilizing the transfer weights instead of the automatic weighting. Appreciate the support all.

Walkthrough of how to transfer some Nike Shoes :wink:

4 Likes