Mesh Tool - A Mesh Editor

Really like the look of this and modifying from face level is very handy for the old school dev. What about the options to select verts, can see face/edge but verts opens up more fine control.

Only other feature I would love is to rejig scale, scaling equally from the centre is a bug of mine is the option to sale in 1 direction a possibility?

Thanks guys for all the encouragement!
@mclarke1987, you can edit not only face and edge but also vertex. My last couple videos did not show that obviously because I was mostly working on edge/face features. Will soon start working on vertex split/weldge.

Regarding the scale from one side instead from center, my understanding is that might be more useful in acotr level than in vert/edge/face level. In fact I was thinkg about making a tool specific for that purpose, something like the “slabs tool” use in witness game.

Update: DevLog Week5

Vertex Snap:

Inset:

Shift Drag to Extrude:

DevLog Week5 Cont.

Vertex Operations: Collapse/Weld Vertices, Create Face

Turn Edge:

wow keep on the good work. cant wait to see it released !!

This has really progressed since the first video I saw and I’m looking forward to the day I get to try this out.

Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

Hey @ - Got a few questions about this tool.

1. How do you plan on tackling texturing?
  2. Do you plan to take advantage of Open Subdiv for this tool? Open Subdiv should arrive in 4.16 or 4.17 I cannot remember which.
  3. Can we save meshes made with this tool as an Static mesh asset in the content browser?

Personally speaking I would love to see texturing done similar to the old school Quake or Doom ED tools.
For example - take a material and apply it to the face of the wall, floor, ceiling, etc.

You have really made some great progress this week. Any chance that we will be able to turn off tris and get only quads for viewing + selection?

I can’t even express how much I am looking forward to getting my hands on this man. I got into game dev back in the Quake days and I hate the modern 3D modelling approach to world design (only because I suck in those apps :stuck_out_tongue: it looks great haha). If you need any more hands to be raised for testing then please definitely consider me haha. Otherwise, do you have any sort of ETA on a release and price? No issues if not, just figured it can’t hurt to ask :slight_smile:

Sorry for reply late. ( Got pretty tied up this weekend. )

1. For Texturing/UV, I’m using auto planar mapping (same logic as UE4 bsp texturing). Will adding manual offset/rotate/scale editing.
  2. I’ve looked into the new GDC 2017 branch, the OpenSubdiv editing is quite interesting, but I’m afraid I’ve to do more research/experimenting to see if adding support for OpenSubdiv.
  3. Mesh Tool is working directly with Static Mesh, so each mesh operation will be applied to the Static Mesh asset instantly in content browser

As Mesh Tool works on Static Mesh (RawMesh) level, it can only see Vertex/Edge/Triangle for now. But I do plan to add a “Pseudo Quad” mode on top of that. (And ways to hide partical edges/triangles display to improve readability of complex level/mesh)

Thanks! I would really like to reach beta stage in 2 or 3 weeks (hopefully). Regarding the price, I’m thinking about $30~50 range, but I’m open to any pricing suggestion.

What about existing UV map (and what about Lightmap UV map) and texture alignment ? Will it be preserved after deleting triangles and adjusting vertices ?

@motorsep, for existing UV, if “Auto UV” is on, it will be updated by the auto texture alignment; if “Auto UV” is off, it will stay intact. And Mesh Tool only deals with UV 0, so the Light Map UV (usually UV 1) will stay put.
Deleting triangles will not affect existing UV map.

@franktech,

I’ve compiled a features list of Mesh Tool:

**// Select & Transform**
- Select and Transform(/Translate/Rotate/Scale) Vertices, Edges and Faces
- Vertex Snap [V]
- Marquee Select (Support both Add and Substract Mode)
- Marquee Select Ignore Back faces and occluded faces elements
- Select Coplanar Faces [C]
- Select Linked(Connected) Elements [L]
- Select Border Edges
- Convert Selection between Vertex/Edge/Face
- Show/Hide Transform Widget [Q]
- Customizable Transform Widget Pivot
- Focus on Selected Element [F]
- Focus on Editing Mesh [Shift + F]
- Customizable Vertex/Edge/Face Display
- Toggle Vertices Display [Alt + V])
- Toggle Edges Display [Alt + E])
- Toggle Backface Edges Display [Tab]
- Hide Selection Display [Ctrl + H]

**// Vertex Op**
- Create Face from 3 or 4 Vertices
- Collapse/Weld Vertices
- Align Vertices by Axis
- Align Vertices to Grid
- Delete Orphan Vertices

**// Edge Op**
- Split Edge [S]
- Turn Edge [T]
- Bridge Edges **
- Extrude Edges [Alt + Drag]

**// Face Op**
- Flip Faces Normal  [N]
- Flip All Faces Normal [Ctrl + F]
- Delete Face [Del]
- Extrude Face [X] [Shift + Drag]
- Inset Face *
- Duplictae Faces [Ctrl + W] [Alt + Drag]
- Cut Faces [Alt + X]
- Recompute Face Normal
- Assign Smoothing Groups
- Assign Material to Individual Faces
- Auto UV (Plannar/Wall/Floor/Box/Fit)

As the new dev-geometry branch, I’ve only looking into it briefly, and quite impressed by the OpenSubDiv integration (though not sure about the performance implication). One major technical difference between the dev-geometry branch and Mesh Tool is that dev-geometry is base on new EditableMesh runtime (With SubDiv suupport), while Mesh Tool is working on plain old StaticMesh. Mesh tool currently has more low poly editing tools while the dev-geometry branch has the SubDiv editing capability, but beyond that I’m afraid it’s still too earily to make a fair comparision.

Hey @ -

When do you plan on putting this on the marketplace?

For those who doesn’t know yet: http://graphics.pixar.com/opensubdiv/docs/intro.html

@

This looks amazing.

Do you plan on adding a Bandsaw tool?

Something similar to this:

Basically it allows you to select a loop of polygons, then add in cuts to the selected loop. Super useful. :slight_smile:

I plan to submit a marketplace review version to Epic by end of this month.

Personally I believe all c++ plugin on marketplace should come with full source, so user always has the choice to do whatever she want to the source. Mesh Tool will come with full source code for sure like all my other plugins.

Thanks @motorsep, those were my weekend reading materials. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the video, it sure looks very useful tool to add edge loops. But as Mesh Tool curently only support triangles (no quad yet), the edge loop detection is a little hard for now.

Week 6 - Cut & Duplicate

Week 6 - Bridge Edge

Week 6 - Assign Material