Download

mesh errors when lit.

hi all!

I’m doing a little bit of prototyping for the upcoming unreal tournament 4

Here is the problem;

I made myself a quick pillar to use in blockouts.
(made using bsp and then convert to static mesh in the editor)

Now i get something like this when i rebuild all.

as you can see the places marked with x don’t read very well.

What could be the issue and how can i fix it. (please try to make an effort to explain in laments terms. (previously i have worked with UED1 only))
Extra documentation on the subject is welcome too! (don’t really know what to call it. so another topic may be active here, i just could’nt search for it)

Furthermore,
when i would design something like this in 3ds max and import it to the editor as fbx. … are there more suprises like this to come?
or do i edit some specific stuff in 3ds max before exporting? I have made quite a few rocks now, using hourences rock generation method. But i wonder if those are ready to go in as they are…

Thx !

Irri

Do you get any errors/warning after you have build your light? + before you build the light it looks right? :slight_smile:

-Add a lightmass importance volume
-Increase the lightmap resolution
-Place a point light beside those black spots so that we know if it’s completely black or just a little bit darker

In 3ds max you just have to create the mesh + a lightmap (http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categories/udk/udk-lightmaps-02-uv-techniques-and-how-to-create-second-uv-channel-in-maya.php). After that everything should work fine (as long as the lightmap is right)

hi fighter,

Nope i’m not getting any errors in the map check.
lightmass importance volume is in place.

I had to bump up the lightmap resolution from 4 to 128 in order to get the effect i wanted.
I saw some assets with a lightmap res of 256 so i think this will not be an issue? (just extra filesize with higher value right?)

Anyway it fixed my problem.
Thx Fighter!
Ps; keep doing what you do, Alot of good video’s and explanations by you on youtube!

Between between 32 and 256 everything is fine → but the lightmap resolution also depends on the size/complexity of the mesh :slight_smile: When you create them in a 3d program, try to keep them as small as possible → the light build wont take so long, a smaller file size,…