Melee Combat System [Semi-Tutorial+Downloadable Project]

Melee Combat System V 1.0

• Includes a semi-intelligent Melee Combat System
  • Allows infinite number of key-presses
  • 100% Blueprint Based [No C++ Code]
  • Rather smoothe and has only one issue (which honestly is not even an issue, persay)…[read below]

Known Bugs

• The Melee system and animation blueprint interaction are not TRULY ‘key-press’ specific… What I mean by that, is the animation blueprint basically just checks to see if the Melee Timer has reached 0. If it has not, it moves onto the next animation, whereas if it were TRULY key-specific, it would read the melee chain, and play animations the moment a key is pressed (assuming the melee timer is not 0 )…

My theory to resolve this, allowing for a more realistic melee system, is by adding key-press conditions to the animblueprint’s event-graph. I’m sure it’s possible, but, I have not even looked into that at all. I’m trying to focus more on the stability of the ‘timer’ functionality.

Semi-Tutorial
Melee Branch
Character Event Graph

• Event Tick

• Sequence-Node
    [list]

• Melee Invoke (Custom Function… Read Below)

• Cast To your animation blueprint. In this project, “Cast to MondoAnimBP”-Node

• Set two Attacking variables, and connect as demonstrated in the project. (It seems arbitrary, but, if not included for some reason, the melee system just DOES NOT WORK AS INTENDED)… I cannot figure this out, but, I do think it has something to do with the AnimBP not truly relying on the key-press. "Can anyone look into this and confirm? I’m almost certain it is… But again, that’s for way later. This suffices for the time being. Alternatively, a delay works, but, the problem is it seems to have error if the game gets laggy. And you never know what HW is running the software.

• Set “IsInMelee?” basedon chain count >= 2

• Delay

• Set “Attacking” to false

• Set “IsInMelee” to false

• (completely useless for now, but, it’s what will be used to incorporate the sequence features. Read below…) Clear keypress to Array of string.

• Reset the “MeleeEndTimer” to “MeleeBaseTime”, which is our ‘count-down’ variable.

• Set “MeleeChainCount” += 1

• Melee Invoke: Includes actual timer functionality such as counting down, resetting variables once timer is 0, etc. The “Core”.

[/list]

With this simple controller, you can see how EASY melee-combat is with Blueprint.

What’s Next?

• Sequence based melee-chain. In essence, specific key-presses in “specific” or “range” time-frames. More details later…

Download V 1.0 – Includes character controller, and entity from “Bless”, the game. Please keep in mind that this project is solely based on educational intentions. Use the content to build your own Melee-Combat driven game, please.

Also, check out Zombie-Camp, which very soon, will implement this system, alongside MeleeKombat 1.1 in the next Zombie-Camp release.(which is currently being rebuilt from scratch to minimize project size)

IMPORTANT! -PROJECT INSTALL

1. Create new Third person Blueprint project
  2. Delete ALL files in Content folder, and replace with the downloaded ones.
  3. Create a new level
  4. Ready to go ! Please report any issues you might stumble upon!:slight_smile: Thx.

Feedback greatly appreciated! :smiley:

Reserved…

reserved…

reserved…

Very cool, thanks for the ‘tutorial’, it’s quite easy to follow too. It’s great when there is something to dissect, I learn so much more picking something apart than watching a video.

Have we any luck to see a working video?

Checking this out now, seems ideal for what im looking for.

Great! Thanks .

Thanks ! :slight_smile: I hope it’s as useful in your learning process as it is mine.

If so, I would not be able to make it at this time. My PC just can’t handle it. Right now, I’m using a Macbook Air 2011 with only 2GB :\ Using Unreal is smooth most of the time, but, if anything else is open, it gives me hell. :\

Are you still working on this? I’d really like to see 1.1 with the time framed sequence button presses.

Anyone got a video showing this off?

For some reason, it wont let me install the project: It’s saying it can’t take the files in the “UASSET” format .-.

I really like your anims, good work.

Hi,
Nice work, I really like it so far.
Did you create the animations yourself?

You dont import read his directions’’
Go tp ypur fresh new 3rdperson project folder and delete and replace the Contents folder with his… make a new level and wala good to go…

Does this melee system work like this?
OnGround《Combo Set~
Combo-1: Move1,Move2,Move3,Move4
C-2: Move1,PAUSE,Move5,Move6
C-3:Move1,Move2,PAUSE,Move7,Move8
C-4:Move1,Move2,Move3,PAUSE,Move9,Move10,Move11

Or can anyone direct me to something that can work in this system’s fashion?

Couldnt you just replace C-2: Move1, Pause, with a delay node? and time it accordingly or take the comabt idle ANIM or the pause state and use that as a combo move?

tell me step by step cause it is still confusing

It will be nice to see a clip show how it is .

Just downloaded this and looking forward to trying it out!

Just downloaded this and the project is full of bad casts. Not working [4.15.1] :frowning: