Megascan blend material made but no paint brush appearing

I’m sure this is a simple fix however I’m finding no answers. I’ve created a megascan blend with three surfaces total using the unreal engine plug in. I have now a master blend material and an instanced version. From youtube guides I’m gathering that to use this blend material you need to place it in landscape, within the landscape material section. which I have done. and it is showing the sand layer which is one of the three layers of the master blend material and that is now nicely covering my entire landscape. And the youtube guides then seem to simply click on the paint mode. click on the colour option in the paint mode. and from there they just seem to select and deselect RGB channels then to get their desired blend between their layers. The problem I’m having is that the major difference between when I follow these paint mode steps, compared to them is that they instantly have a circular brush that appears where as I DO NOT have this circular brush. I just have a cross hair.
I am scouring the internet trying to find the reason as to why my brush is not appearing with no luck.
If anyone can tell me if what im attempting to do (painting mode>colours) is called vertex painting also that may help me look for answers in the future. I would greatly appreciate anyone who can help me. Is it just a box that needs ticking in the blueprints section of my master material? I can see underneath the Landscape materials section within my landscape there is an array elements section that doesn’t have any array elements within it. could this be the problem? thank you.

Through another two days of researching blend materials for megascan I am seriously struggling to differentiate what they are doing versus what I am doing. I am now attempting this with just two imported materials from bridge. when I click on the instance of the blend material, all the maps for the RGB are in place so I dont believe that is what is leaving me without a paint brush. I do NOT have array elements on my landscape which im guessing is the problem here. from my basic experience of creating target layers for albedo maps only using the sample textures UE4 gives you, I remember having to name the blend layers within the blueprint and setting them to height blend and a preset of 0.5 in order for the layers to be created on the paint tool. however, you would assume that automatic master material created for this ‘quick and easy’ blend material process would pre configure this target layer creation process of its own back. and no youtube tutorial has mentioned having to create target layers. One youtube tutorial explains you need to have the albedo, normals, roughness etc. appropriately named Base, R and G in the master blueprint. Which mine definitely are. I do have WARNINGS which explain my displacement and roughness are set as colour. and one video I saw explained that you needed to change them to LINEAR colour. however when he was changing his displacement and roughness from colour to linear colour, his maps where errors before the change, then non errors after changing. where as mine are non errors before changing to linear, and then becoming errors after changing to linear. I understand my explanation is a bit all over the place but being generally quite new to UE4 I can only assume it’s either this warning message that isnt allowing me to paint. or a lack of target layers.

Through another two days of researching blend materials for megascan I am seriously struggling to differentiate what they are doing versus what I am doing. I am now attempting this with just two imported materials from bridge. when I click on the instance of the blend material, all the maps for the RGB are in place so I dont believe that is what is leaving me without a paint brush. I do NOT have array elements on my landscape which im guessing is the problem here. from my basic experience of creating target layers for albedo maps only using the sample textures UE4 gives you, I remember having to name the blend layers within the blueprint and setting them to height blend and a preset of 0.5 in order for the layers to be created on the paint tool. however, you would assume that automatic master material created for this ‘quick and easy’ blend material process would pre configure this target layer creation process of its own back. and no youtube tutorial has mentioned having to create target layers. One youtube tutorial explains you need to have the albedo, normals, roughness etc. appropriately named Base, R and G in the master blueprint. Which mine definitely are. I do have WARNINGS which explain my displacement and roughness are set as colour. and one video I saw explained that you needed to change them to LINEAR colour. however when he was changing his displacement and roughness from colour to linear colour, his maps where errors before the change, then non errors after changing. where as mine are non errors before changing to linear, and then becoming errors after changing to linear. I understand my explanation is a bit all over the place but being generally quite new to UE4 I can only assume it’s either this warning message that isnt allowing me to paint. or a lack of target layers.

The lack of target layers is what I was thinking, and then building the data for each one…prior to painting. I don’t know why Base, R, and G would be required labels for the blueprint portion except that it’s how the code is written. It probably means there’s no placeholder or variable type of naming convention in the code to allow labeling based on attribute (displacement, roughness) or another kind of label. The error could be blocking the paint brush from showing its in-editor form, but that’s a crazy way to handle an error because it portends of something worse than an incorrectly set blueprint or blend material. It’s probably a great idea now to do a few searches for the exact same problem in the forums and in the issue tracker. The issue tracker is accessed via the Learn dropdown at the top navbar under Issues. Not to worry about being all over the place. Problems like that can leave a person scattered at trying to solve a seemingly basic problem.

Thanks for the replies preston. If we where to go through the process of elimination. As I two agree this could quite easily be a target layers issue. How am I to add target layers? as this is not a simple blend node it has automatically made here, as shown below in the print screen. If you need to view any specifics of the master material I’ll happily upload those aswell.
My understanding of target layers only extends to basic tutorials of albedo maps being blended through a green blend node that you add targer layers to. where as this map has many lerps and blend overlays. beyond my scope of understanding of target layer creation. cheers
[1]: