(Megagrant) Pixel2D - The sequel to Paper2D. Complete 2D platformer solution.

How’s it going? Are things still moving smoothly?

I just tried the demo last night and I am fairly impressed by the performance in this plugin. Cannot wait to get my hands on this for a top down game :slight_smile:

ROLL.gif
A preview of the remade character art.

Hi, I played the demo its was really cool. I’m working on a 2d platformer for mobile. Will this plugin support Android and iOS ?

Glad you liked it. It will support android and iOS.

WOW, so glad I’ve found this topic.

I can focus on art until you release your plugin.

I have few question if you don’t mind answering:

1. Do you have a dynamic lighting support? maybe something similar to https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengine/comments/8aimmq/pixel_art_dynamic_lighting_in_ue4_awesome/
  2. Since you have plans to update your plugin, how does this affect us if we started developing on v1 and want to update to v2? do we need to re-implement everything? or do you have a plan in mind?
  3. Do you have different camera angles? like something similar to Don’t starve?
  4. Any support for parallax effect?
  5. Is your system a Core Plugin? or BP Project?
  6. How do you control boss phases? let’s say i have different movement per phase, can i configure it in AI?
  7. Do you support directional sound?

Please mind the number of question, i really have high interest in your plugin

Regards

1. You can use dynamic lighting if you want. You will need to make normal maps for the sprites if you want to get the most out of it though. Like the game you linked does.
    dynsmic.jpg
  2. Everything is built on components. I don’t have any plans to make big changes to existing components. Any new things will be new actors and components. So when you update, your existing stuff should not break, but you will have new stuff available to use.
    3.No different camera angles yet but planned as an addition.
  3. Yes if you use the perspective camera, there is automated parallax support and I made a custom parallax behaviour for orthographic cameras as well. The demo uses orthographic with my custom parallax behaviour if you want to see how it works.
  4. It’s a code plugin with a lot of blueprint functionality. Everything is exposed to blueprints so you never have to touch the code( though you can if you want to). It’s made for people that have zero C++ knowledge.
  5. Each boss is different, can’t make a system for everyone’s need but currently, there are a lot of events that can be used to control the boss actions, from events when the player or the boss health changes, to time-based events, to animation based events ( when the animation changes). I’m sure I can add new events if there is interest in them.
  6. Unreal supports directional sounds by itself so they will work on my plugin as well. Basically, if it’s a feature that Unreal Engine supports by itself, my plugin should support it as well by default. There might be some exceptions but can’t think of any right now.

Thank you for clarity, I’ve tried your demo and i would like to know is it possible to do the following in your plugin:

1. Directional attack, (like when looking up and down the character attacks in that direction).
  2. Jump height based on input duration, to allow user more control to jump higher or lower based on the situation (useful for different bosses)
  3. Direct change of movement mid-air, (currently in your demo when jumping while running to the right, i cannot change the character mid air to the left direction) is it possible to have that feature?
  4. Is Block/Parry system implemented?
  5. Can a character Bounce? (Like when hitting a jump pad)
  6. Is it possible to have a hit reaction on an enemy? (like push back from a hit)
  7. Is it possible to “Hit-Lag/Slow motion” effect on the character for a frame or so to have a big impact feel of the hit?
  8. Can i make a boss entirely scripted? without the use of AI? (Like i have 3 combos and i want the boss to toggle between them).
  9. When do you expect a release date? (I’m super pumped to get my hands on your plugin).
  10. Is Nintendo Switch supported?

I would also like to suggest you to start a Discord server, so you can keep us updated more frequently (Also useful for support after the release)

Waiting eagerly for your reply

Hey,
I have a discord server : Polyart Studio

On to your questions.

1. Not implemented in the demo content, but I see no issues with it. Should work fine.
  2. Already in.
  3. Already in. There are jump movement controls that allow you to retain full movement control while in the air if you want to.
  4. No, will come later on, but you can add it by yourself meanwhile if you want to. It shouldn’t be too difficult.
  5. Will come later on, but making a basic one is super easy. Just add a trigger that adds an impulse on the Z-axis when the player enters it. That’s it.
  6. Hit knockback is already in. It can be seen in the Demo for both enemies and the player.
  7. You can change the sprite play rate using blueprints so it’s very doable.
  8. Yes, the current boss is 90% scripted, except for the player detection part.
  9. Currently upgrading to 4.23, encountered issues, fixing them and writing the documentation in the meanwhile. So very soon.
  10. It should work on whatever Unreal Engine runs on, so it should work on the Switch as well

A beta version has been released on Gumroad, due to popular demand. It has most of the features already and will be constantly updated. If you can’t wait until it’s released on the Unreal Marketplace and don’t mind some bugs and giving feedback during development, go check it out. There is a 9.99$ early adopter discount!

https://gumroad.com/l/px2d/ndga2l0

Hey there, I am interested in the plugin but in the comment above it says 9,99 but when you follow the link it says 80$. :slight_smile:

Hi,
The discount is 9.99. Not the discounted version. The non discounted version is 89.99, while the discounted version is 80. Hope it helps.

I’d probably buy it for $10 (no offense to pricing policy, it’s just not a production tool for me).

You should only buy what you need. I’m not selling this for people to pick up on the side in case they need it. This is for a specific niche of people that are serious about making 2D games with Unreal.
Price will go up as more features are added.

Some great news to share! Pixel2D got chosen to receive an Epic Megagrant! This means we now have the resources to make it even more awesome and add even more features to it!
Stay tuned for more info soon.

That’s amazing! I hope to see more from this. I’m pretty serious about making games, I have a few ready and a small team of just 3 who are ready to make some games. $80 is a bit steep, how does this compare to your 2D Platforming kit? We’re a team of disabled gamers who want to share stories and fun with others and can’t really shell out that much.

Any news yet? I am eyeing this with great interest. Perhaps if you can’t share news yet you know when you will be able to? Thanks.

The news is that I got someone to help me with the c++ development of the project. He was already helping me on some issues, but now he will be able to dedicate a lot more time to the project. I’m finishing up some stuff until the paperwork is settled and will be able to focus on the project 100% very soon.
If you want it now, it’s available on gumroad as a beta and I’m working on getting it on to the marketplace as soon as I can.

Congratulations on your MegaGrant, you’re an Unreal MVP.
The Epic MegaGrants Team is Unreal too :wink:

How is it going?