Mega-Poor Performance on GTX 980 in Landscape Mountains

For some reason I’m getting no more than 20 fps continuously in the Landscape Mountains level on a GTX 980 (latest drivers as of post).

My 560 Ti can handle full screen at 60 + FPS. is in a newly created project, no settings adjusted at all.

If I re spawn while playing, i jump up to around 60 FPS (still low for card!), but as I get close to the water and the foliage, it plummets.

That’s actually pretty sad to hear since I was planning on getting a 980 sometime soon.

Have you tried playing with the scalability settings etc. ?

I would do some basic profiling as a starting point to try and figure out if the GPU is the actual bottleneck
If you haven’t read already, take a look at blog post

Are there any other 980 users here that can confirm the performance?

Hey ,

Have you enabled any of the Maxwell specific features in the Nvidia Control Panel (found in the windows control panel)? I know the latest update enabled MFAA specifically, I am not sure if it is fully compatible with UE4 yet. I would check the presets and see what is enabled by default and test it out again using the standard set.

Haven’t tweaked anything, I’ll check that MFAA setting though as I did just update to latest driver. I thought MFAA was still disabled in the driver though… must be wrong. I’ll check that out!

Whatever it is, it nukes me as I get close to the center of the map. Can’t find the actual source of it though… driving me bonkers.

I can confirm that MFAA is off, so it’s definitely not that!

Well my shiny new ASUS Strix GTX 980 is due to arrive tomorrow (woohoo!!! :smiley: :cool: ) so I will test on my system and let you know how it goes!

Just so I know for testing are you using the latest Mountain Demo version available from the launcher for 4.5.1? Or did you upgrade it to ver 4.6? (built from code)?

Hey , I don’t have any update for you yet, but we have some people investigating now. They might drop in to ask some questions after testing the hardware themselves. :slight_smile:

Well I just tested it out and can confirm it, 15fps when first opening the project (and re-loading the project). I was able to get 95fps looking in a certain direction from a specific location, but pretty low fps aside from that. I was getting higher FPS (in most areas) on my 660 before.

I went ahead and posted a bug report on AnswerHub for with some more details to help you guys track , here is the post:

questions/141292/landscape-mountains-demo-low-performance-on-gtx-98.html

I’m willing to do any testing you need done, just let me know. :slight_smile:

No problem :slight_smile: Here’s my DXDiag file should you need it for reference!

Getting the same here, work just bought two evga 980’s and both of them perform the same. Quite poor, I had a 780 before and on a particular level of mine was getting average 20fps ( in a heavy area ) but once the 980 is in, it barely gets 7fps.

Hi, is there any update on ? I was about to buy a EVGA GTX 980… because right now I’m working on landscape with a lot of folliage… but now I’ve found thread… any news about ??

I have a gtx 980 ti and UE4 is essentially unusable now. Super lag any time I try to interact with the editor using the mouse. I also have windows 10 on build, so I am split between one of them being the culprit, but from what I have been reading, the 980 ti might be more likely.

I have a gtx 970, which ought to be somewhat lower performance than that 980. I’m getting anywhere from 20 fps (lowest I saw) to 62 fps (looked like a vsync cap), depending on the direction I look.

The common range just flying around was between 25 and 30, I’d say. It hit the 60-ish numbers when facing away from that big lake.

That’s with a gtx 970 on Ubuntu 14.10.

I haven’t tested very recently, but I’m fairly certain it’s resolved itself. I expect it was a driver, the card was really new at the time.

Well, happy AMD user here with no issues at all :smiley: