Medieval Village Environment

Ah didn’t realize that! Hopefully we’ll get the feature eventually.

That’s a great idea! I see it implemented on the website but not the launcher. Hopefully they bring it over soon as there’s some great developers who are automatic buys as soon as they come out.

That’s odd, I don’t see it on the Marketplace. Perhaps Epic is doing something on the e-commerce side of things. Should be this week at some point I hope.

We’ve been informed by Epic that this pack will released on October 4th!

@PolyPixel3D - Great news :slight_smile:

Oh… October 4th…

I was going to pm you this but thought this could be beneficial to some on the forum so here we go
Im getting a dk2 rift so wonder if this pack can be used with Vr (havent been able to play with VR but documents i have say we better not deal with normal map - switch to parallax map etc so this question :slight_smile: )

It’s easy enough to do, as I am sure the pack will have diffuse, normal, and bump maps (and I suck at texturing!)

The “common wisdom” that normal maps are useful in VR is pretty weak, IMO. I’ve been working in VR for over a year now and unless you’re right up on a low-frequency detail normal mapped surface, normal maps do work.

Where it doesn’t work very well is for things like small detail objects (belt buckles, stuff like that).

I come from the film side, and we dealt with very similar issues with the advent of 3D films, etc. One thing that was surprising to learn is that we as humans are not totally reliant on binocular vision to build our perception of depth: we take into consideration many other cues in addition to right-left eye fusion. If the distance between two objects is small enough relative to the viewer, then we don’t actually rely on binocular vision to perceive the difference in depth, but instead rely on other cues such as light and shadow. GREAT list of depth cues here: GREAT list of depth cues here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_perception

This explains why normal maps will still work perfectly well, because the relative distance between say, a tile and the grout between each tile is so little that we rely on shade/shadow to perceive it and not binocular vision.

Interestingly this applies to things that are further away than 30 or so feet as well. When we look at the grand canyon, we can tell the far wall is further away than the near wall but it’s not because we have binocular vision.

Ultimately, this could have some really cool implications for VR rendering! I could see engines implementing a scenario where you render out the dominant eye frame and then only redraw things closer than a certain depth when building the frame for the second eye.

Some great VR chat in our thread and I love reading about it. We’re going to look more into it for our future packs and hopefully can bring the knowledge back to all our previous packs. As for now, we haven’t tested Medieval Village to work with VR

It’s not all that hard tbh. There are quite a few videos created which explain the details floating around.

The basics are:

• For large details, those should be physically modeled (preferred) or be tessellated (not preferred, increases latency due to increase calculation times to tessellate)
  • Medium details should use bump offset maps
  • For very small details, such as hair line cracks, those should be normal mapped.
  • Do everything possible to reduce draw calls

Basically, if the game looks fantastic and runs at a great frame rate on mobile… then it should be ok in VR. More or less.

PS: One other thing, if you really chose to go down this particular rabbit hole, expect to learn more about human physiology and psychology than you did in high school / college. I know I sure did!

Sadness, it’s not yet on the marketplace :frowning:

It’s probably the Oct 4th week, and Epic only releases on Wednesday night/Thurs morning, so it should be up on the Marketplace on the 8th. Unless they meant Nov 4th, which falls on Wednesday :s

hey guys, it sounds like there was a mixup and it will be October 7th, good catch on your part!

And it’s up! (purchased… now I just need to get off work :frowning: )

Downloading it right now :slight_smile:

Woot, purchased :smiley:

This is the missing puzzle piece to my initial map :slight_smile: For a while I was trying to cobble together CC0 building without interiors and just make it work but eventually scrapped that when I saw this pack was coming, and worked on combat and such instead, glad I did.

Thanks everyone for your support!! Hopefully it meets your needs and we’ll be monitoring this thread for any feedback.

It’s awesome!

Edit: D’oh - there is a demo scene as seen in the video - it’s called “DemoScene” in the Scenes folder - I must have looked before it was done discovering assets. :smiley:

As for general feedback - I noticed that for some reason the house pieces don’t have the window material assigned.

Here’s a shot of a prefab I made: