Media Players Out of Sync with Image Sequence Renders

Hello everyone!

I’m trying to produce a 360 LatLong image sequence from a level in 4.21. I am using various media players for textures throughout the level. When I render the image sequence, the media players do not retain frame sync while the frame renders. I.e. Media player should advance one frame and hold during the render process. Instead, it continues to play at its own pace. The net effect of this is that any media textures playback in a choppy/“fast forward” looking way.

When I first encountered this in 4.18, someone from Epic said that the issue would be fixed in 4.20. I’ve since moved my project to 4.21 and have the same issue. Has this been fixed? Am I missing something that I need to update in the project in moving from 4.18 to 4.21?

Thanks!
Chris

I would like to know the same thing, please help!!

I have just had the same problem with 4.22.3… I was doing an AR video and had to eventually export CG with alpha mask to Nuke to do the comp, which increased the workload perhaps 10 times… Terrible nightmare…

Try using an Image Sequence media source instead of a video source for your media player. Most video decoders aren’t designed to seek to specific frames so when Sequencer tries to seek backwards to the correct frame when going to render the next frame of your movie the underlying video decoder may not be giving the correct information.

2 Likes

For cinematic rendering of media textures instead of media players Use Media Tracks in Sequencer with any image sequence as source. Video doesn’t provide the ability to jump to specific frames

1 Like

Whats funny is i just realized this problem only exist in the movie render queue and the Movie Screen Capture Legacy doens’t have this frame drop problem.

I am rendering media textures using media tracks in sequencer with exr img sequence as the source. I have the image sequence set to 24fps, the seqencer timeline set to 24 fps, the movie render queue set to 24fps, the project settings set to 24 fps.
When i render the movie and have a robot dancing beside him i can clearly see the robot moving every frame and the image sequence moving 2 out of every 3 frames or ever other frame. How do we slow down the render to allow the movie render queue to not move forward until the media player frame has been completed? This is so noticeable at 24fps… at 60fps not as much because if you miss a frame it’s harder for the eye to see. However at 24 fps when 1/3rd of all your frames are dropping your playbacked green screen keyed character looks choppy while everything else looks smooth. I’m on unreal 5.0.3 and using an RTX 3080ti with latest drivers. Unreal can you provide an answer? is there a cache buffer setting or something, or way to plugin to add to resolve this?

I’m experiencing an issue that may have a similar problem at the root.

I have a tracking shot of a camera flying along a camera rig rail, tracking a vehicle that is going the same direction alongside it. I set it up in Sequencer, and it was rendering out fine in MRQ. After the 5.1.1 update, or else upon changing some other setting somewhere - perhaps in post process or perhaps anywhere else in the level - the MRQ output and the Sequencer output are no longer the same, and the camera is flying far ahead of the vehicle (or else the vehicle on the game thread is running behind). This throws out the shots and has the camera looking back at the vehicle rather than side-on.

Didn’t used to be a problem, but something has changed. The original sequence I had set up now renders out differently to before and is out of sync, despite not having changed anything directly in that sequence. New sequences are also out of sync.

Anyone run into this issue?

I suspect that it’s because the game thread is now playing back slower than the sequence - so the camera rig rail continues normally and the camera flies ahead, but the game thread is behind, and the vehicles and all actions in the world are happening slower. Not sure though. Any ideas?