Media Player: Possible to pre-buffer video?

This is a follow-up to this 2016 thread. At the time the answer is that it was not possible but “It’s something we’re actively working on right now”.

With UE 5.0, I need to “prepare” a video file so it starts IMMEDIATELY (doing real-time stitching of videos).

I tried what feels like every permutation of Play()/Pause()/Seek(), responding to OnMediaOpened(), OnSeekCompleted() etc., and of course all on a PrecacheFile = true. I even tried playing with MyPlayer->CacheAhead, to no avail.

In all cases, the timing for events is very loose and unpredictable.

Is there a way to “prepare/buffer up” a video so we can play exactly at the frame desired?

Thank you so much for any insight on this!!

Quick update: it does look like installing the Electra plugin helps, although it is unclear to me WHAT is this plug-in and how it is “chosen” to play video.

i.e. installing it makes it replace the Wmf player but is there somewhere we can choose between the two?

Also, is it supposed to be better then what is built-in (Wmf)? If so, why isn’t it the default, and if not, why not?

Hi there @HappyHappyPlay , Electra Player is an Unreal Engine Plugin, so you’ll be able to manage it through the Plugins tab inside the Editor. Epic seems to be deprecating the default media player and improving Electra as a replacement. However, it is still far from perfect and could use some extra love.
Did you find a way to have seamless transitions between different media files using this player? If so, would you mind sharing how?