Media Player Editor is not saving the media texture right after closing it

So, I’ve imported a video to Content/Movies folder as File Media Source (Drag & Drop) and then tried to create Media Player using it after playing it then saving it but it showed that it didn’t save when I closed the media player editor, the texture just returns from media texture to black exactly after closing the editor.
I’m just trying to make a Main Menu background using it :\

Checkout the attached screenshots for more details:

This was fixed in CL# 3172935. Will be in the Master branch soon - probably December 14th.

The fix is very simple. In /Engine/Plugins/Media/MediaPlayerEditor/Private/AssetTools/MediaPlayerActions.cpp, add two missing MarkPackageDirty calls. This will mark the assets dirty, so the Editor will remind you to save them on shutdown…

Near the bottom of FMediaPlayerActions::ExecuteCreateMediaSoundWave:

if (NewAsset != nullptr)
		{
			MediaPlayer->SetSoundWave(Cast<UMediaSoundWave>(NewAsset));
			MediaPlayer->MarkPackageDirty();
			ObjectsToSync.Add(NewAsset);
		}

Near the bottom of FMediaPlayerActions::ExecuteCreateMediaTexture:

if (NewAsset != nullptr)
		{
			MediaPlayer->SetVideoTexture(Cast<UMediaTexture>(NewAsset));
			MediaPlayer->MarkPackageDirty();
			ObjectsToSync.Add(NewAsset);
		}

Ok, maybe I misunderstood your question then. Can you explain one more time, step by step, what you’re trying to do?

Hello!
I’ve tried the fix you wrote to me in: 4.14/Engine/Plugins/Media/MediaPlayerEditor/Source/MediaPlayerEditor/Private/AssetTools/MediaPlayerActions.cpp, Added the 2 missing MarkPackageDirty calls correctly and still having trouble when saving the video as media texture, hmm… seems like the whole thing is not allowing any media files to save while closing/saving as output asset.

Thanks for your feedback!

Alright, Steps:

1. I’m trying to import a new MP4 video format to the Unreal engine 4.14. and use it as animated Main_Menu Texture.

2. I dropped the video using Windows 10 Explorer to My Project/Content/Movies Folder where it should be placed to work properly.

3. Renamed the imported video to Main_Menu.

4. Created advanced asset ‘’ File Media Source ‘’.

5. Opened " File Media Source " and selected File Path : My Project/Content/Movies/Main_Menu.mp4.

6. Created advanced asset " Media Player " and checked “Video output MediaTexture asset” box on .

7. Opened the New " Media Player " and inserted Media URL correctly from Media Library.

8. While leaving the Media Player without closing or saving it the Media Texture remains as a working media texture.

9. Saved file and closed the Media Player window

10. The Media player’s video Texture returned into Empty (Black) and it refused to save or save as Media texture.

these links might help:

Oh, so the Media Player Editor is only for previewing the media. It will not store the previewed Media URL or Media Source in the Media Player. You will have to open the desired media in your Blueprint, i.e. on BeginPlay, when the user clicks some button in your game, or whenever is appropriate in your use case.

Thanks for this info! If you know a BP tutorial for making a Main Menu animated media texture just tell me and I’ll be more than thankful to you :slight_smile:

We don’t have a tutorial for menus specifically, but the docs will show you how to open and play media via BP.

The exact same problem still persists for me… Anyone got a working solution?
If i close my whole project and re-open it, the Media Texture doesnt include my video anymore and i have to attach it over and over again…

1 Like

Same problem here, if can anyone help please.

HISPlayer media player pluginsupports HLS and DASH streaming formarts.