Media Framework Documentation for 4.5 Preview

Thanks, I’ll have our legal team look at this!

iOS should work (using the AVF player plug-in). Android is mostly working in the Master branch. Some advanced features, such as seeking still need some polish.

Hi,
Does MediaSoundWave work in 4.6?

It works in the Editor, but when I packaged the project, MediaSoundWave doesn’t work anymore… or do I miss something?

Can we get an update on Media Framework…

DO you plan to update it? are you working to include more format support? Are you working on sound issue? Any new features you plan to add? Do you have a road map for the Media Framework, how is everything going with it?

I find it too a bit frustrating… I’d love to just be able to put a video texture on a mesh and have it looping just by checking the loop checkbox. right now it’s only playing once and all my media is flagged as unseekable / unscrubbable.

Great to hear.

If anyone out there is planning on building a libVLC plugin, I’d highly recommend reading the following post as this is probably the most optimal way to integrate it into UE4.

yep

[QUOTE]
are you working to include more format support?

we are currently polishing up iOS and Android. HTML5 is next. after that we will revisit Windows playback.

not right now, but it’s on the to-do list. audio is not functional yet, and we know it.

the next big change is going to addition of ‘media sources’, so instead of just setting a file/URL in the Media Player asset you can set up other sources as well, such as webcams and video capture hardware. this is planned for 4.8 right now.

there is not an official road map right now. we had to put development on hold for a couple weeks in order to address some higher priority tasks. work should resume later this work though.

Awesome thx for the update

Has this been addressed yet? I scanned the forum for mention of transparency, but I don’t see an answer yet. I’ve read that other users were able to implement a matte video in the alpha channel, but that they seemed to be out of sync. Anyone have any experience with this?

Most video formats don’t encode an alpha channel. You may be able to whip up something like a green screen effect in the Material Editor?

Transparency works!

You’re right, I wasn’t able to use an alpha channel within the video format…but I was able to use a separate black & white matte video to link to the opacity mask node…works like a charm!

Is it possible to dynamically set the path of a MediaPlayer, or dynamically create MediaPlayers? I’m trying to let the player drop their own videos into a folder so my game can find them on startup. But it looks like it’s only possible to play videos where you set the path to the video in the editor.

This sounds promising. I’m starting work on a project where I want to implement UE in creating an interface for live video during concerts. The plan is to create a visual 3d environment in which I can control lights, particles, objects and cameras to create realtime concert visuals on the fly. My colleague and I came up with the idea that it would be cool to include virtual ‘screens’ in the world, so a second VJ could send me a feed that I could then capture and stream as a texture to my realtime environment. My knowledge of UE is still limited, so results are far off, but if this development continues I might be able to realise my idea.

Is it supposed to work by now?

Tested it with 4.7 but couldn’t make it work.

UMediaPlayer::OpenUrl() to open media files at run-time. This is also exposed in Blueprints under “Media -> MediaPlayer -> OpenUrl”

Sorry, XboxOne is not supported yet. This is now scheduled for 4.8, which may be after GDC.

This should already be possible, although your mileage will vary depending on the platforms. I have successfully streamed video over the internet into the Engine on Windows. I have not tested MacOS yet.

Please note that we will also add support for video capture hardware soon, which would then allow you to stream directly from a video camera. I’m planning to work on this in February, but can’t promise anything, because GDC is coming up, too, and we’re all super busy :slight_smile:

Does this work for the latest version of Unreal?

@gmpreussner

Why are you polishing anything on mobile/html5 when the sound isn’t even working for Windows? I realize you guys are pushing into that space, but your primary focus is still windows is it not?
This is frustrating to have an advertised feature that is broken for three major builds. I don’t care about format issues, I can always convert for now to work around it.

Some other issues I have noticed:

Videos continue playing outside of play mode in the editor if they were started while in play mode. This had the amazing effect of causing UE4 to lock when pressing play again if I let it run too long.
I often lose control of the media player while in editor, so that even while playing, hitting a pause function in a blueprint or in the media player file itself will no longer stop it.

I have the same issues