Media Framework Documentation for 4.5 Preview

Audio is not fully working yet. In your MediaSoundWave asset, try to select an audio stream - it may not have one selected by default. Either way, audio still needs more work.

Support for iOS and MacOS was checked into the Master branch this morning (GitHub commit). It doesn’t have all the features of the Windows plug-in yet, but basic playback should work.

Great, I have figured it out now. My missing step was to create a variable that holds the MediaPlayer so that I can access it in the Blueprint. I was trying to drag and drop the MediaPlayer into the Blueprint, because this works for SoundWave assets.

I see that there is a “Supports Scrubbing” function, but I can’t find a function to do the actual scrubbing. I assume that with scrubbing, I can choose for each tick exactly which frame of the video should be displayed? This would be ideal for my project.

You use the Seek() function to set the current playback position. Scrubbing is like seeking, except that it’s supposed to take effect immediately.

Please note that scrubbing works better in some video formats than others. In general, compressed videos are not fast enough to support smooth scrubbing (especially when going backwards, because the codecs are optimized for forward play), even though the plug-in may report that scrubbing is supported. If you use something like uncompressed AVI on the other hand (which causes, unfortunately, very large files), scrubbing is much more fun.

Hey, I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong, but I can’t seem to open up the map from your zipfile. I extracted it into an existing project but I can’t seem to figure out how to open the media.umap from the editor? Is there some step I am missing? Fairly new here.

So I am supposed to use the Seek function for both seeking and scrubbing, correct?

I have converted the sample video from your zip to uncompressed avi and use it in my Blueprint like this:

This somewhat works, but when I start to move I can see a delay/jump in the video most of the time. Maybe I need to force the engine to always hold ± a few seconds of the video in memory around the current seek position?

I use github 4.5 release version can’t open your .umap. The MP4 file can be played well, but seems some MP4 file can’t be played in UE4? What kind of MP4 file is supported?

Try copying the assets into the ContentExamples sample project (you can download that one from the Marketplace).

mp4 videos must currently be encoding using an MPEG-4 encoder. We have not been able to reliably play H.264 encoded movies. Certain encoder settings may also not work. We will improve this in the upcoming weeks.

Can’t seem to get your .umap file to show. I can see the Widget Blueprint that was made, but I’d like to see how the video itself gets pushed into a UMG image (if that’s actually how it’s done?)

Let me know!

plz help I am currently trying to trigger playback video with audio in level blueprint to trigger playback. i want the audio to play at the same time as a clip , for example a video on tv.

plz help

Hi,
I grabbed the fix for the URL thing. Recompiled, but I ended up not getting anything when I input a URL. Do you guys have a URL that we can use to test the streaming URL feature? I’m not sure if it’s the code or the URL. I greatly appreciate any help.
Thanks,
~C~

I’m interested in using video playback in favour of layered 2d sprites (might be 3-5 sprites at least per component to get the job done). I’d need at least three videos playing at the same time, all three being played on three different sprites in my pawn (which would be 9-15 layered sprites at least in total). Would playing multiple videos at the same time be a bad idea on mobile?

Can I layer sprites on top of video as an additional option?

Hope Android support will come in shortly!

Great addition by the way. Awesome.

I really dont get it

Why cant we just call the media player in the lvl blueprint?

This, IMO, would have been a simple and practical solution…

1: create Movie player AAA
2: create texture for movie AAA
3: create sound for movie AAA (everything from creating a movie player to a texture and sound is pretty good imo)
4: assign Movie AAa texture to a mesh
5: put a movie AAA sound element somewhere and set attenuation and every other settings

but this is where I think it should go from there

Example:
6: Put a reference to the Media player aaa in the lvl
7: create a trigger box
8: Open lvl blueprint
9: create an overlap event on trigger box
10: call play Media player AAA on trigger box
11: Play movie and sound if wanted when Media player AAA is triggered (or use whatever media function already created for the media player)

And voila. simple and practical way of doing whatever you want then on blueprint or lvl blueprint with your media player…

I dont get why I cant put a reference to it in my lvl and lvl blueprint. Am I missing something? I think it is too complicated for nothing

This is still not working for me. I’m not sure if I am doing something wrong, and googling the issue is getting me nowhere.

I copy everything in your zip file into the Contents folder of the ContentExamples project. It is there in the file browser, but even after restarting the Editor several times, it does not show up in the Content Browser.

Observe:

I have also tried this with an empty project, with the same results.

Running the 4.5 release, Windows 8.1 if that helps.

Ok Well that was stupid

It is Pretty simple… nothing complicate here

Just create a Object Reference Variable for the Movie Player first…

I guess I wanted to use the Media player in the content Asset…went crazy about not being able to use it.

Sorry about that

Now… can I use a .mkv extension in there? I tried but it didnt worked.

I think the only wmv with MPEG-4 codec works well at the moment. Others are hit and miss.

Tried it on my map… It works with WMV. MediaSoundWave didn’t work well as expected. The game freeze for half second whenever the MediaSoundWave starts to play. I ended up extract the soundtrack and use regular wav.

Hyy man , would you mind helping me work out how you did that on your video please ? I have no idea what i’m doing.

What do you want to know exactly?

So I’ve been doing some “Hacking” and by seeing what the path looks like for the MP4 I found that it works properly when you have for example:
C:/Users/MyUser/MyProject/Content/Movies/TestMp4.mp4

you need to replace it with in the Media Player Asset.

…/…/Content/Movies/Test.mp4

This will break the Play in editor version, so do this before Packaging your project as a standalone version. Also make sure once you compile the standalone version that you go into the folder with the baked content, and add a Movies folder and put your MP4 in there, then it works, the audio still only works with an WAV file, and sync was rough, so I don’t advocate doing dialogue with this until it’s fixed.

But Using this I got an executable that fires properly, runs the movie on load, and plays the wav file, all independent of where the Project Folder is Placed.

Thanks DCrosby, will give this a go.