MechDawn, an RTS development

Hello,

my name is Thomas and I am focused into coding. I have completed many tasks to create a solid and complex RTS with Unreal Engine. I want to hear your opinions about the gameplay itself and questions about the technics and features. Here I got a little demonstration for you. Please enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rayiWJeXgA

Landscape

• Auto-Material

• Hex Grid Material

• Realtime Virtual Texture

• Streets
    • Landmarks and UI elements
    • Skid marks (*)
  • Grid Tile Generator

• Debug and placement in Editor
  • A*-Pathfinding for unit agents

• Minimal and Maximal weapon range
    • Movement in groups
    • Orientation on landscape

Buildings

• Dynamic queue widget for productions
  • Radial timer icon for progress
  • Any sizes for grid integration
  • Turrents
  • 3D-Assets (*)

Units and Weapons

• Awesome assets from Marketplace Author Slava Z.
  • Fully functional integrated as C++ class
  • Projectile classes for effects and damages(*)
  • Easy unit templates with blueprint (**)
  • Harvester Bot Component
  • Team colors

Resources

• Resources to harvest
  • Energy and Crystal management

Player AI

• Bot for construction queue and Harvester production

User interaction

• Fog of war as post process
  • Camera movement
  • Camera rotation
  • Grid Tile based movement

(*) Not fully integrated
(**) Interesting for blueprint as prefabs

Nearly everything is done in C++ to get full controll by code. Blueprint and Assets used where they are needed and for design purposes. If you are interested in the game itself, have questions about features, new ideas or have interest into the features as Marketplace product, please leave your comment. I will love to hear your opinions.

2 Likes

You just combined two of my favourite things: Mechs and RTS! :smiley: (Loved the Mech Commander games back in the day.) Looks great, amazing work!

As I want to create a RTS in UE4 one day, too, here’s a couple of questions for you:

1. How did you go about the tile-based level generator and the movement? Working on a tile-based game myself right now (but with 4-sided tiles) and found that there are not a lot of good learning resources out there for my approach (puzzle game with a directly controlled character), so I rolled with my own solution more or less.
  2. Did you create the assets yourself, too, or are these marketplace assets? Your mechs are modular from what I can tell in another video?
  3. How does fog of war work for your AI when it’s a post-process effect?
  4. How long have you been working on this? Previous UE4 experience?
  5. [EDIT] Forgot one question: Why did you combine hex-tiles with an RTS? Usually only turn-based games use tile-based movement.

Keep up the good work!

Grüße aus Stuttgart, Michael :wink:

1 Like

Hi Michael,

glad to get some feedback here! Thank you. I love to answer your questions, too.

1. I started with AGraphStar implementation and hex tiles. After getting the basic implementation done, I desided to use a landscape for the visuals. As you can see in the screenshot, I made a GridManager which holds the tiles (UObject). Marked as black and glowing dots on the landscape. The Editor-Widget can update the dots after changing the landscape, which is pretty handy. The colored dots are angle and off-plane indicators, you cannot walk on these tiles.

1. The mechs are from the Marketplace, I got them all. Awesome work from that artist.
  1. It does not matter for the AI, the post-process is just part of the visualation for the player, not part of data for AI. The post-process is just the best way to implement it. For the visual effect, I am writing data with Render-to-texture, so I can use the same data everywhere the AI needs to.

2. This is my very first Unreal Engine project. I have strong coding skills and already much experience in creating DirectX 3D engines in C++. I started this project like 5 month ago. I am playing around with alot of Unreal features, learning on the fly, finding good ways for implementations.

3. Hex tiles work better if you have everything with ranges, like weapon ranges, because it’s circular. Units can walk evenly in every of the 6 directions. I like the hex style, it matches the sci-fi theme very well. I like the clear layout of the tiles, every unit has it’s place to be. That’s even better for A-Star pathfinding. No need for NavMeshs and realtime collisions between units. It is more like just a boolean of the tile if it’s passable or not. I don’t see it that sharply separated between turn-based and realtime.

Thank you.

1 Like

Update - Base Building