Measures on EU5 - Object proportions

Hello everyone!
For the last few days I’ve been trying to understand UE5, but there is one thing that confuses me, that is, the proportions of objects.
For example, in real life, if a table measures 1.6meters wide, 80cm long and the legs are 70cm high, carrying those measurements to UE5, it will look smaller to me.
How can I make measurements right? I mean, what am I doing wrong?
I’ll show you an example with Outlast, RE7 and Fallout 4 (of course, the last 2 games don’t use UE as a graphics engine, but it was to make the point).
Thank you in advance for taking the time to read/respond.

My project:

Outlast:

Fallout 4:

Resident Evil 7:

P.S.: I apologize for any spelling mistakes; I used a translator.

Hey there @JJZP_99! So the unit in Unreal is based on CM. I think it looks odd to you visually because there’s no frame of reference in your scene. There is nothing for your brain to latch on to to determine the scale of what it’s looking at besides focal length (which the other cameras also have different FOVs and Focal Lengths as well). Try importing a normal sized person, a chair to go with it, a banana for scale, or well anything that could help get a good handle on it’s scale. You can also use the measurement tool to check for sure.

Disclaimer: One or more of these links are unaffiliated with Epic Games. Epic Games is not liable for anything that may occur outside of this Unreal Engine domain. Please exercise your best judgment when following links outside of the forums.

1 Like

Hi! Thank you for your reply, I saw the link you sent me, but now I have a doubt, that is, how can I change the height of the character in first person (since it only fits the capsule, arms and camera)? online you can find some tutorials, but if I wanted to make him 175cm tall, how should I adjust both the camera and the capsule?
Regardless, I thank you for your answer, as it was helpful in orienting me.

So for the capsule, you’d set the capsule half height to half of your desired character height. In this case it’s 87.5 cm.

Then since the camera is the parent to the skeletal mesh component arms, you can just raise/lower it to where you want the eye height to be. The gun attaches to the skeletal mesh, so that should always be the proper height. However the only caveat is if the 3D arms are too long/short for your new height it get’s less intuitive on how to adjust that. (just changing their scale skews shape and animation so that’s a no go).

1 Like

Thank you for your help and time.
Have a nice day! :smiley: