Maya to UE5 alembic cache question - Can I parent a light to mesh?

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to attach a light to an alembic cache? I’m importing an alembic cache of an animated Pumpkin character from maya, and I want to have a glowing light in the mouth. I can’t find a way to parent a light to a part of the mesh. It’s an alembic cache so there is no skeleton etc. and I don’t think unreal understands the mesh is moving so the light (though being parented to the mesh) doesn’t move with the mesh. I tried putting the mesh and light in a blueprint but that didn’t seem to work. Is there any way to make this happen?

Thanks!

you probably have to export an aditional FBX with a bone with a cube skinned to it probably, just constrained to a point on the abc cache so it matches up

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, that’s a huge help! I got the bone and cube constrained to the cache and was able to export it. I verified the export and in Maya the bone and cube are moving correctly. Could you please let me know how I should bring it into Unreal? Should it be a blueprint or another way? I’ve tried several options with no success yet. Thanks so much!

should just be like any other fbx brought in for sequencer. there’s lots of youtube tutorials around for that. if the framerate and range is the same as the abc file, they’ll line up fine in sequencer,
then just put an attach track on the light pointing to the bone, or just parent it in the outliner, as long as the skeleton is possesed and not spawned by the sequencer

1 Like

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the help!