Maya Live Link for UE 5.3?

Has anyone heard about updates to Maya Live Link for UE 5.3? I know Autodesk updated the plugin for 5.2 in October, but the 5.2 plugin doesn’t work in 5.3 unfortunately. :frowning:

I contacted Autodesk about any updates, but I haven’t heard anything – thought to ask here as well.

TIA for any info.

Honestly, just ditch Maya and move over to Blender. I know this argument has been held a million times over, but let’s be honest about this. Blender is all community based, there are no limitations. Someone already fixed the 5.3 issue for Maya live link, but it’s not being released due to Autodesk Red Tape. The switch to blender will empower you as an artist, it’s been a month since I decided to cancel my Autodesk sub, and Maya is already starting to feel inferior to Blender in many ways, but mainly just by sheer mass of available addons and community driven support that Maya doesn’t have, and from what I’ve seen, Autodesk deliberately discourages this. Let’s not forget that the Blender Foundation is an Epic Grants recipient, and they have a very compelling incentive to develop and improve Unreal Engine compatible features. This goes deeper than just livelink, there are a plethora of tools made for blender that makes your unreal work faster, easier, and more enjoyable. And we’re also seeing some cross-pollination, with unreal getting native skeletal mesh editing tools (not kidding, it’s under the plugins section in 5.3), which they no-doubt had some assistance from the folks at blender to develop.
I was skeptical at first, but now I am ashamed of how long it took me to realize that Blender is everything you need and more. This is not 2010 anymore, this is 2024 and this open source software has grown into a formidable alternative for premium software such the dcc’s provided by autodesk.
Make the switch, you won’t regret it, and you will also save a ton of money. You can make blender exactly like Maya for less than $100 once off, no subs, and best of all, the live link is constantly updated by the blender community.
And when you do realize your pockets are full of cash and your art is looking better than ever, kick a little donation towards the Blender Foundation to show your support :slight_smile:

2 Likes